converting a house into flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am thinking of converting my house into 3 flats
i have worked out how to do this as its big enough

just a question on the water supply

do i need to get 2 new water mains put in?

or can i split them into 3 plastic pipes at the start of my property to supply each flat

how are flats normally done regarding the water supply?

Sponsored Links
not as of yet but have not started yet am just working out a few things first and this is one of the things i am unsure of

i would think there would be no problem in getting permission
but will cross that bridge when i have sorted a few things out that i need to know

Okay,normally the water company will fit 1 water meter for each flat but having said that I'm not a legal expert regarding if you're going to be a landlord or selling of each flat etc. Best to ring the water company.

Sponsored Links
if i was to make it into flats i would rent them

but i know the water company will connect into there mains for free aslong as you have a trench dug about 1metre deep with the blue water pipe in was unsure weather you could t off into 3 seperate pipes.
and if this is the way you would do it for flats.

and would there be a need for water meters as i have no water meter at the min just thought probley would get 3 water bills.

anyway suppose i will ring the water board tomorrow ask them

i will post what they tell me anyway

For one thing, everyone I know has had a water meter installed. OK, so everyone I know is under 25 so doesn't have to wash nappies/kids clothes and run several baths a day, but if you are splitting a house into 3 flats it is reasonable to assume you are going for the singles market (unless this house is actually a mansion!). So, you should make provision for that.

I have a purpose-built maisonette c.1984 and have a water supply independent of any neighbours. My stopcock is under the pavement, as is my water meter, and all of the other stopcocks and meters.

I have a feeling that I have a shared waste connection. Apparently this is not uncommon even with some houses.

Obviously this does not mean that it is the law. I think it would avoid long-term hassle if you fully divide the flats including meters and supplys (electric and gas too). That way if someone doesn't pay their water bill and does a runner then you aren't held responsible.

hi i rang the water board (seven trent)
hey said i would need 3 new water mains connecting all would have meters put on which is standard these days

they are sending me an application form out to get a price.
should be resonable price if i dig my own trench as they said 1 trench would be ok for 3 pipes and can have my own plumber connect the water meters water meters are about £58 each just there in the street connection is all they will have to do

thanks alot for all your replies

Ask them for a discounts for buying 3,you'll never know !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back