Converting a Radiator to electric ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He does anyone know if this is possible, I currently have Storahe heaters in my property, No gas feed, So want to replace the storage heaters with some other kind of radiator, I have a electric heated towel rail in the bathroom and was thinking a similar idea in other rooms woudl be a neat and toty solution

So is it possible to use a electric heating elecment, say 1500w in a normal radiator?

If not why not?

also any other suggestions, Has to be electric no other option.

Storage heaters are no good as by the time i get in in the evenings (7ish) they are not providing enought heat to keep the property warm

the reason i am looking at the radiator / elecment option is price, this would be cheap to do.

Sponsored Links
He does anyone know if this is possible, I currently have Storahe heaters in my property, No gas feed, So want to replace the storage heaters with some other kind of radiator, I have a electric heated towel rail in the bathroom and was thinking a similar idea in other rooms woudl be a neat and toty solution

So is it possible to use a electric heating elecment, say 1500w in a normal radiator?

If not why not?

Storage heaters are no good as by the time i get in in the evenings (7ish) they are not providing enought heat to keep the property warm

the reason i am looking at the radiator / elecment option is price, this would be cheap to do.

Dont try this at home, water expands plus water and electric dont mix. ;) ;)

There is no room inside a panel rad to accommodate a heating element.Only the towel rads have enough room and you can buy them already fitted with electric heaters.They are not suitable as an alternative to a wet system.Ever thought about electric boilers?

If not why not?

Dont try this at home, water expands plus water and electric dont mix. ;) ;)

???

Have fitted several conventional towel rads with an added elec. element, ie. not part of a ch system. No problem. Just fill the towel rad to 90% capacity with water including a bit of corrosion inhibitor, to allow for expansion.

Having said that, these elements are only designed for towel warmers. Won't be man enough for a full sized rad, and your leccie bill will be :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Having said that, these elements are only designed for towel warmers. Won't be man enough for a full sized rad, and your leccie bill will be :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My leccie bill is shocking anyway so it might as well be shocking and keep me warm.

As for the option of an electic boiler, I'm in a flat with concrete floors so just don't want the pipework everywhere and the cost of hiding it would make it uneconomical for years to come.

You can get electric radiators

http://www.eliteheaters.co.uk/

However, as I presume you have Economy 7, you will not be able to use them on cheap rate, except if they are turned on in the small hours. They have no storage capacity, so will be on burning standard rate electricity. Not cheap!

The electric rads are also expensive to buy. Is there no way you can get a gas supply, as a standard boiler and rads will be cheaper to install and run?

Have you considered LPG or oil as alternative fuels for a conventional central heating system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back