Converting a room into a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've attached the floor plan from when I bought my house.. As you can see it's a bit of an odd layout. It's an old Victorian town/terrace house where the ground floor has been seperated into 2 properties. So 'bedroom 1' is on top of what my neighbour likes to call a cottage...
We have no parking or outside space so I had a brainwave of turning the kitchen into a drive in garage/car port and moving the kitchen into 'bedroom 1' which we currently use as a storage room...
Is this sort of thing even possible or would there be so many building regulations and restrictions that it would be more hassle than it's worth.. I don't want to start paying for people to help me apply for planning permission if I'm just wasting my time.
I know the kitchen wouldn't be a massive garage but we do only have 1 small 3 door car...
image.png

Sponsored Links
image.png

Here's the external of the house. I own the bit between the dotted red lines...

The building regs side of things would be simple, and not a problem. Whether the planners would like a garage door throwing the balance of the front elevation and street scene out, would be another matter.

The garage is going to be very tight for length, and it does not matter what car you have, it might be deemed too short by the planners.

Either way you wont know unless you consult with the planners or make an application, so will need to spend some money

The garage is going to be very tight for length, and it does not matter what car you have, it might be deemed too short by the planners.

A work colleague said something about the size not meeting garage requirements but said when he did some renovation work on his house he was advised that doors/windows need no permission so if I could convince a planning officer that a garage door was a door to a workshop which I just so happen to park my car in every so often that I might get away with it as an 'opening to a workshop' rather than a garage

Sponsored Links
Not if they condition any permission to prevent parking a vehicle. And building regs will need to be for garage use.

That looks like a classified road, so you'll need planning permission for a dropped kerb.

This is my neighbouring property which has a 'workshop entrance' and is the sort of thing I was looking to do but be able to drive my car in rather than just use it for storage like they do
image.png

You'll need to apply then and see what happens. You wont know otherwise.

Just pay for planning drawings for now, until you know what the decision will be.

Maybe things are different in King's Lynn. There is no chance that this would get permission down here in the smoke. Not sure of your address, but I would note that 1 and 3 Railway Road are listed buildings.

Last edited:
Maybe things are different in King's Lynn. There is no chance that this would get permission down here in the smoke. Not sure of your address, but I would note that 1 and 3 Railway Road are listed buildings.

My address isn't listed but does come under a conservation area. It was enough hassle getting a sky dish which had to go on the rear of the house... Perhaps I'm being a bit too ambitious with my idea. Would probably be cheaper and easier to move house haha

That's quite an important piece of information. I would be astonished if the LPA considered that such an application aligned with policy. But stranger things have happened! I doubt Highways would support the proposal either.

Good luck, if a conservation area they will not like the street scene changing. Yes you need planning permission approval and also consider structural and fire for building control... But I think TBH you are wasting your time. Look for land or a garage nearby!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back