Converting Detached Double garage to Golf Simulator/Cinema room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've finally agreed a price to get or garage roof trusses replaced with rafters which is being completed next week. But this has come out quick a bit more expensive than originally planned so i am looking to insulate and board up the garage myself.

I have read lots of posts about the best way of doing this but they are all slightly different to mine and the posts are quite old so i was hoping for a bit of advice.

The garage is approx 16 ft x 16 ft built out of single skin brick with a pitched tiled roof. I am going to keep the garage doors but seal them with silicone and bolt shut (so they can be used if we ever come to sell the property) and build a stud wall in front. The garage floor is a concrete slab and i can see the DPM is 2 bricks above floor level.

I think i am going to build a wooden frame out of treated wood, insulate with sound proof insulation and then board with sound reducing board.

Do i need to build the stud wall first before the floor?
Do i need to lay DPM over the concrete floor if it already has it or can i just put insulation straight over it and then board?
I was going to leave a gap between the baton and the brick wall but how big does the gap need to be?
Can i paint the brick walls with liquid DPM or are some of the newer types of plasterboard have these on them?
I have read about using a breathable vapour sheet or do some of the plaster boards have these on?
Does the roof need insulation or can i just board over the rafters?

I am sure i have missed something but the more i read the more confused i am getting :)

Thanks,
Lee

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back