Cooker Extractor Chimney - vent through roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a cooker chimney extractor thingy on an internal wall (no other place to put it) with the intention of venting it through the soffit. The kitchen is in an extension with a pitched tile roof on top. However, I'm not sure I want to cut through my UPVC soffit, and I'm also struggling to find a vent that is big enough for the vent hose but small enough for the soffit. I was wondering if it might be possible or allowable to vent it through the roof instead? There are windows on the first floor of the wall of the house where the extension roof meets, I estimate that a vent coming through the roof tiles would be approx 2 metres away from the nearest window. Are there any factors that might prevent me from venting the chimney in this way? Is there a specific type of vent I would need to use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't believe there are any regs except possibibly of a general "nuisance" type if the other wall/windows don't belong to you.

Think major problem would be that these fumes always contain grease and you risk getting a gease slick on the roof.

What's wrong with the soffit and what size is the hose ?

The hose is 125mm, but I had to flatten it somewhat to get it down behind the soffit. There's nothing wrong with the soffit boarding, I'm just not keen on the idea of cutting it just to put a vent it. I've also not found any 125mm vents that are suitable for facing down from a soffit - plenty that are ok to put through a wall but of course I'm not doing that.

You can vent it through the roof via normal terminal or tile vent

Consider siting it where prevailing winds wont blow any discharge back towards any windows

Avoid soffit vents for cookers as the area around it will go yellowy-brown quickly. And an bends or flattening the duct reduce efficiency of the fan

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, presumably I'd need some kind of adaptor to fix the vent hose to the vent tile?

It may fit with some large jubilee clip or it may need a bit of pipe too.

The tile will either come with a connector kit or one is normally available as an extra

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back