cooker wiring please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, can someone advise if my cooker and hob have been connected correctly. My ceramic hob has a rating of 5.80 kw my double oven has a rating of 4.30 kw connected via a 6mm cable to an 45 amp cooker box with a socket point. Which is then connected to a 32 amp fuse in fuse box.
Please help worried mother :cry[/code]

Sponsored Links
SamySnake said:
Sure they're both on the same circuit?

Good point, if you trip the "fuse" do they both go off?

The good news might be that unless you put them both on full blast at the same time, they will probably not cause a prob. Even when they are all switched on their thermostats will be switching them on and off at different times, and they could only just create enough overload to trip your MCB. The 32A MCB is likely to trip before anything else gets overloaded. It may well have been put in to supply a rather smaller cooker. There is a formula for calculating probable cooker loads (it's less than all the total added together) which I can't be bothered to look up now.

BTW, the thing in the fusebox, is it an MCB (like a switch), or does it have a replaceable cartridge fuse or even :evil: fusewire? If you can lay your hands on a digital camera and put up a pic, we'll like that.

Oh - and if I were you I wouldn't plug your kettle or toaster into the socket on the cooker switch, especially at the same time as you're cooking Christmas dinner for a family of 20. Have you got enough other sockets in the kitchen? If the MCB ever does trip, turn off the cookers before resetting it, otherwise both oven and hob will draw max current as they will have cooled down, and will quickly trip it again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, only just had the wiring done for the new cooker and hob their not even installed yet but i thought they would be on separate fuses but the electrician said they would be ok, but I'm still worried. I was going to plug my toaster into the socket thats attatched to the cooker box !!!! I have a WYLEX fuse box with little plastic push in circuit breakers and both the oven and hob go into the same 32 amp fuse. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back