Cooking fat and detergent down the kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the advice is never to put fat down the sink, but washing frying pans and oven dishes, you've got to. A plumber told me - emulsify the fat with detergent and it won't build up. But I did habitually and it has, and now I have a blocked sink again. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
washing frying pans and oven dishes, you've got to.

Wrong. You tip what you can into an old can, then wipe out the rest with kitchen roll which you throw in the bin.

You can start by taking off the trap, and scraping it out. Possibly you will need a plumbers snake down the pipe.

Afterwards, pack the waste and the overflow with Washing Soda Crystals, and add just enough boiling water to moisten them. Then go away. When you come back add another pint or so of boiling water. The objective is to dissolve the crystals, not to wash them way or dilute them.

Do it once a week.

Well Harry, you are not alone, lots do as you do and block the pipes and then the sewage system. Have you ever though about pouring the old cooking oil when it's still warm into an old jam jar ( jam jars can take the heat ) and replacing the lid then put this into your bin.
I do hope this is of some help Harry as you appear to need simple ideas to help stoping blocking your drains.

OK, I do tip the oil and fat into the bin. I do. Then I wash the utensil. Then I have this problem. Nobody, nobody bins their washing and rinsing water.

Sponsored Links
I assume this is animal fats we are talking about, rather than cooking oil? Surely the cooking oil remnants are ok, as they don't solidify at regular temperatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back