cooling fans peugeot 406 1999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ive lost my cooling fans on a peugeot 406 1.8 1999 took it to an auto electrician who told me the fan motor had shat itself so i got a second hand one fitted it and left motor ticking over to get up to the 90 temp but fan didnt start but if i turn the air con on then the drivers side fan kicks in so the fan does work, does anyone know which fan should come on first the drivers or the passengers as i seem to remember seeing that one fan controls the other i.e one comes on at 90 then if its not cooling still the other kicks in ive got a mate to run a diagnostic box through it but it said all was fine????

Sponsored Links
i would say the passenger side first, its quite a complex set up on these but i would advise locating and changing the fan themo switch first as its relatively cheap

shouldnt a diagnostic test show up whether the sender/switch is knackered?

Sponsored Links
I can't remember which side kicks in first as I sold my 406 about 3 years ago. However if one fails it can affect the operation of the other fan, bizarrely. I found that spinning the duff fan by hand often kicked the other fan into operation (don't ask me - why I don't know).

It can be quite hard to work out which one is actually faulty. The circuit shown in Haynes either isn't quite right or is so complicated that it's difficult to work out what should happen. Sometimes it's easier to bite the bullet and change them both.

thanks malc i would go as far as to say the haynes manual is bloody useless and your right it is a tricky set up as it could be a relay or the sender switch or the fan although im sure i read somewhere that both fans should come on with the air con and only one of mine does so its either the fan or the relay so im off to the scrapyard of joy to blag some relays although again i could be unlucky and grab another faulty relay oh well fingers crossed. well i changed all relays and the other fan but only one works on air con and im sure i read somewhere both should fire up with air con on i might just have to stop someone or harass them in a shop car park and see if theres come on with air con or just one

Back