copper pipe elbow leaking, help .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello ,my radiator pipe comes out from the wall and up ,but at the top end of the elbow joint, water has started to leak from it.How do i fix this please,should i borrow a flame torch and heat the area up and then use solder.

Thanks for any help :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ok, does this joint have a big nut on each end, or is it already soldered?

hiya mogget,no its just the elbow joint that leads upto the bottom of the rad valve and yes its already soldered

The solder won't run if there's any water in the pipe. You'd have to drain the system first. :rolleyes: :cry:

Sponsored Links
arghhh i'm getting capets fitted tomorrow .So if i run the system down dave and then use a torch and solder it should be ok?

Yep.

The pipe must be fully empty (loosening the nut on the valve of the rad may help once it's drained)

Then you'll need flux, solder and heat ;)

can i just run the solder around the elbow rim dave ,what would i do with the flux(please don't laugh). :oops:

Lol.

You'll need to brush the flux on the joint where you're going to solder. Also put a bit of flux on your solder...

Then heat the fitting up and keep dabbing the solder on, when the fitting is hot enough, you'll see it run around the end of the fitting ;)

i will dave, i will have to to borrow a torch, flux ,and solder first i will do it in the next few days,i'll leave a rag around it for now. :D

Take the fitting off first dont try to bodge it by adding loads of solder over the fitting it will not seal. Take the fiitting off by heating it, clean up the old solder with wire wool.

If your really not confident with soldering get a yorkshire fiting all you do then is add some flux to the end of the pipe not too much, add fitting and wipe off the excess flux. Heat the joint until the solder weeps out the fitting.

You may need to use a MAPP torch to get the pipe/fitting hot enough as there will inevitably be water in the pipe.

Good luck!

^ sorry but i disagree. Heating it up, the existing solder will also run - Therefore will seal fine. (unless the fitting is cracked or damaged). :rolleyes:

Also yorkshire fittings sometimes need a little extra solder too. Especialy as this sounds as though it's his first time at soldering.

Finally which ever gas he uses, he's gonna need the water out the pipe :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back