Copying folder names only

H

holmslaw

Hi, brainpicking time.

I have roughly 25 folders that contain thousands of sub folders. I want to copy all of the sub folder names (only) and put them into one alphabetical list that can be editted and manipulated. And, if possible, is automatically editted/synchronised when ever the sub folder contents are changed or added to.

Sponsored Links
http://www.mtg.sk/rva/

Get program Cathy (English) from left column ... Worth a try.

...An extremly small, very fast and easy to use media cataloging tool. You can use it to index files stored on removable media (CD's, DVD's or even diskettes), hard disks or net drives, and create searchable catalogs that can be used without having access to original media. Searching capabilities are based on file name, date and size. Additional features include filtering options, search duplicates or singles, customizable date format, etc. Found files can be opened (executed) or deleted directly, if they are present. Drag&drop support. Directory trees, MP3 album/song lists can be printed, disk space usage can be investigated. Single file executable, no install needed....

This would appear to suit requirements - More than a folder printer, but has a relatively small footprint.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
empip, all sorted now and job done.

You're right it is a folder printer but you can save the printer list in notepad and then copy to word - exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the advice though, might find some other stuff there.

BTW, I seem to recall that you can also create this list using "DIR" from within a DOS box.

It's something that comes with your operating system & needs no further files:D
info
along the lines of dir c:\foldername > folderlist.txt
But including the required optional switches.

EDIT: Or maybe not now..... :(
DIR /ad /s is the sort of thing but it has an info line in between each dir, not needed for this application.

Useful one if you need it ...

Very small Batch file ... Added to Wind' Explorer context menu.
Could get this via 'Create File Listing' :-
SP32-20040118-091922.gif

Or this verbose listing :-
FL05.gif

The context menu additions :-
SP32-20040118-115427.gif

Instrucions here :- http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

Also see several Additional batch file Modifications from readers...

You don't need to be, Eldergeek et al have done the work and explain step by step -- :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back