Core drill vs SDS drill

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a couple of 150mm holes through a fairly solid wall (double skin brick faced with stone). I have a decent SDS drill so thought I'd just buy a 152mm diamond core drill bit and use that.

I've noticed though that there is a type of power drill described as being specifically for core drilling. What is the difference between this and an SDS drill and should I hire a core drill for the day instead of trying to use my SDS?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
For core drilling, its vital that the drill itself has a clutch or other sort of torque limiter to prevent the bit jamming, and the drill also needs to revolve fairly slowly.
Most of the core drill attachments that I have come across are for the standard Jacobs type chuck, and the arbors are either round or hexagonal.
Curiously, I'm in the same quandry - I have an elderly Hilti sds drill with clutch which I'd like to use, but I intend to hire the core bit anyway so I'll see what the hire shop says.
John :)

personally i'de hire 1, i've been known to trash 1 or 2 sds drills in the past by trying to cut 150mm core holes

I've struggled on using my SDS drill for years.

A mate of mine bought a proper coring drill. I borrowed it off him for a go and the difference is unbeleivable.

They are also good for stuff like pushing a 25mm auger bit through joists as they are high torque and low speed compared to a standard SDS drill.

Sponsored Links
I've drilled many core holes with an sds. But the clutch wears thin pretty quickly. I wouldn't ruin a good sds on such jobs.

I have the Sparky core drill and compared to my 2kg Bosch 800w SDS the different is amazing.

The drill itself has alot higher RMP but I agree 1st gear or large cores.

Thanks. You guys are right, I should really get a core drill and keep the SDS for everything it was designed for. What should I be ordering for occasional DIY use? Sparky or something else?

Alternatively, a corded SDS that will reliably do the job?

Last edited:
Thanks. You guys are right, I should really get a core drill and keep the SDS for everything it was designed for. What should I be ordering for occasional DIY use? Sparky or something else?
Hire in for the weekend - a decent core drill is £££. Forget using an SDS, over 80mm they are not up to it. Maybe buy your own cores as they can be expensive to hire

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, good point. The other goes up to 152mm. Anyone got any issues with the Makita? Overall reviews are good.

I burned out my SDS drill last week coring beyond it's designed limit. Nearly £140 to replace the brushes and armature.... and it seems you can buy a proper core drill for that much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back