Correct Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three new LED flood lights to put up on my house and wanted to know the correct type of cable to use as everyone seems to say the twin and earth used already is not suitable?

Sponsored Links
I have three new LED flood lights to put up on my house and wanted to know the correct type of cable to use as everyone seems to say the twin and earth used already is not suitable?
Is this cable going to be exposed to the elements on the outside of your house?

Kind Regards, John

Use twin and earth, it will last longer than the fittings :LOL:………… joke …….. unless purchased on ebay or tesco….. yes, tesco !

DS

Is this cable going to be exposed to the elements on the outside of your house?

Kind Regards, John

Yes it will be exposed for 95% of the run going in to junction boxes along the way for connection to the fittings

Sponsored Links
You're best with FP200.

White or black. If the brick/finish is dark, it looks better black in my opinion.

Use SWA where there is any risk of the cable being damaged/stood/driven on or where laid exposed on the ground, and use suitable UV rated rubber cable for runs along walls. Also, making sure the cable is suitable for the connected load.

Use twin and earth, it will last longer than the fittings :LOL:………… joke ……..
You may jest but, particularly if not disturbed, it seems that PVC T+E 'exposed to the elements' can (not necessarily always!) last for decades without any problems. I recently removed, from a southish-facing outside wall, a run of such cable which already looked old when I inherited it about 30 years ago. Not only did it IR satisfactorily whilst still 'in situ', but it still did after being removed and extensively manhandled, and still seemed pretty flexible (rather than the 'brittle' which we fear).

Even though I'm sure that experiences will vary, and even though we would normally advise UV-resistant rubber-sheathed cable, I suspect that PVC T+E will probably (often/usually) last for at least as long as other plastic things we attach to the outside of our houses (and expect to have to replace after a decade or three).

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
You may jest.....

Give me a mo...;)

I suspect that PVC T+E will probably (often/usually) last for at least as long as other plastic things we attach to the outside of our houses (and expect to have to replace after a decade or three).

Why, I have a "Lucious Linda" that has been strapped to the roof of our dining room extension since 1999 and she's doing well, although, admittedly, her hair has fallen out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back