Correct way to clay tile a lead valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of having an extension built on our 1920's built house. The existing roof is clay tiled and in a reasonable state of repair, albeit 90 years old.

The extension involves a lead valley and a new section of roof adding into the old. The roof work we've had done generally looks good, but i'm not sure about how the tiles that abut the valley have been done.

Essentially, because the valley is at an angle, there are points where slivers of tile would be needed but can't be fitted because there is nothing to attach them to. Consequently, the roofer has simply left the tile out. Nor has he bedded the edge of the tiles (verge?)onto the lead with anything.

The photos hopefully show what i mean.

The roofer says that this is the way its done and he doesn't bother bedding the tiles onto anything as it just falls out on lead. I'm not convinced about that and the missing tiles bother me as it just doesn't seem right.

Comments about whether i'm making a fuss over nothing or what the correct way to do this would be appreciated. The rest of the roof work is generally good but there have been a few different people working on the roof and i've found a few bodges where they've had to make minor repairs to other areas that have been affected by the work eg the removal of a stench pipe that went through the soffit and the roof. They've now been dealt with, but the roofer is adamant that he's done the valley correctly. But the bodges have made me wonder if he is trying to pull the wool over my eyes to avoid having to source the correct tiles and redo the work.

If i'd been doing the work, i'd have used a wider tile cut to the correct profile to avoid ending up with slivers with nothing to hold them in.

Sponsored Links
If i read that correctly its fine not to use a cement undercloak but there should be full tile overlap as per the rest of the roof and tile-and-a-half size tiles would have enabled that to be done.

Sponsored Links
Op, your roofer is crap and wrong. The valley should be either a traditional wet valley or a proprietary dry valley. Yours is clearly not a dry valley.

Water, snow and birds love those large gaps.

There should be no slivers of tiles or missing pieces either.

Op, your roofer is crap and wrong. The valley should be either a traditional wet valley or a proprietary dry valley. Yours is clearly not a dry valley.

Water, snow and birds love those large gaps.

There should be no slivers of tiles or missing pieces either.
Thank you for confirming that there should be no missing pieces. It didn't seem right to just leave buts out which means there are gaps where I can almost get my fingers into the roof space.

What is the consensus about whether there should be an undercloak?

I'm assuming if he had mortared it he could have 'cheated' by simply mortaring in the tiny little pieces? Take it you didn't want a dry valley so you could keep the roof 1920's looking?

Just look at the state of the cuts. Even those are crap.

As for undercloak, if one can't be fitted because of the shape of the valley, its not really a big issue. The gap is though.

But omitting basic stuff like this always worries me as to what other things have not been done correctly.

I'm assuming if he had mortared it he could have 'cheated' by simply mortaring in the tiny little pieces? Take it you didn't want a dry valley so you could keep the roof 1920's looking?
To be honest, I wanted the roof extending in clay tile to match the rest as on the other side it's a continuous run, but I'd never heard about a dry verge. Had I known, I would have asked for one or for the valley to have been done in valley tiles like the valleys at the front of the house. If he'd mortared it I'd never have known.

But my mistake for not specifying what I wanted. I now have a lead valley which will be fine, when redone properly.

As for undercloak, if one can't be fitted because of the shape of the valley, its not really a big issue. The gap is though.

But omitting basic stuff like this always worries me as to what other things have not been done correctly.

There's a new roofer coming next week as the one that did this work is now not responding to the builder. Unfortunately the builder has minimal experience with this type of roof so has relied on the roofer so when the roofer tells him this is how it's supposed to be the builder doesn't know better.

The roofer seems to employ a mixed bag of staff. Some good, some bad. Most of the rest of the work is good, but there have also been some silly, obvious bodges on the existing roof where minor repairs relating to the building work have been required. Like a broken tile siliconed back into place rather than replaced.

The roofer was not expecting me to make use of the scaffolding for inspection purposes....

Thanks for all the input.

The reason the cuts are crap Woodclogs is because he has run the grinder up the cuts AFTER they have been laid.
If you look carefully you can see in the one image where the grinder has touched the lead and caused a melted burr.

Was the roofer given tile and halfs to work with?
Was he even asked his preferred way to do the valley?
Was he just provided with certain materials and asked to get on with it?
I find it hard to believe a roofer would turn up to a job without
any tile and halfs.

The roofer in question quoted the job and procured his own tiles. He was shown the plans of the extended roof and chose to do a lead valley. With hindsight I wish I'd queried the valley he was proposing but I'm quite happy with a lead valley if it's done properly.

The original roofer is now coming back to site tomorrow to meet the builder. Current excuse from the roofer is that tile and a halfs are hard to get hold of. The roof was done in a mixture of tiles from the original and reclaims with the aim of getting a match. But I would have been and am happy with modern manufacture redland rosemary tiles where tile and a halfs are readily available in the closest colour match available.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back