Correct way to clay tile a lead valley

You don't use tile 'n' halfs going into a valley or a hip or else you end up with a bonding anomaly (straight nick) on the course above.

Whoever said use them in this scenario is not a roofer.

Sponsored Links
You don't use tile 'n' halfs going into a valley or a hip or else you end up with a bonding anomaly (straight nick) on the course above.

Whoever said use them in this scenario is not a roofer.
I don't think that is correct. You are only using a tile and a half where you'd end up with a tile sliver if you use a standard tile. So bonding remains the same and no anomaly.

The original roofer has actually come back to site and agreed to redo the valley. He's now managed to acquire some suitable tile and a halfs and has agreed it wasn't done properly in the first place. He's also accepted to fit the upstands on the valley boards that he didn't put in.

Last edited:
I wonder how a tiler might have got on 150 years ago using peg tiles.. when are the T&H turning up! mwhaaaa

Update:

Roofer came back today, stripped the tiles off the valley and retiled using tile and a halves where appropriate.

Bonding remains correct, the cuts are much neater and the I'm now happy with the work now that there are no gaps.

Sponsored Links
Yes well forget what plastic valley man says its better to have
a secure tile than a small triangular off cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back