Corrosion on pump valves. Is pump faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have some corrosion on the isolation valves for my central heating pump. I'll change the valves but I was wondering if it was a sign of something more serious. e.g. I was worried there might be an electrical fault in the pump causing current to flow to the earthed pipes and causing the corrosion or if this is just 20 years wear and tear. I really don't want to buy a new pump as seems to be working.

Cheers,
Matthew

Sponsored Links
If the pump is running OK I would leave it alone. A little corrosion, if that is what it is as it could be anti-corrosion chemicals seeping out and crusting in the air, is nothing to worry about in that location. :)

is it leaking round the spindle of the gate valves? It is possible to tighten the gland nut a fraction, but quite likely the leak has plugged itself by now with old scale and dirt and will start again if moved.

If you clean the old deposits away with a toothbrush you can see if there is still leakage.

If it is the pump union, you would have to take it apart to reseal it, which would be extra work and you could make it worse.

Looks like there has been very slight seepage over time through the joint between the pump and the isolation valve. Neither the pump or the valve appears faulty and nor is it electrolytic corrosion. Its simply seepage at the joint.

Personally, i'd leave it alone unless you're losing pressure. But if you're worried then take the pump off, replace the gaskets with modern rubber type ones and replace.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks a lot guys. I'm not so worried anymore. I'll probably try to clean it off and see if there's any leakage etc and if not go no further.

Cheers again,
Matthew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back