corsa c head gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there just wondering how you know your head gasket has gone,cause people are telling me different things thank you,plus wondering what the price is to get it fixed if it is head gasket

Sponsored Links
The tell tale signs are coolant gushing out from the expansion bottle, if the head gasket has gone, or a severe oil leak to the outside.
The cost depends on whether the cylinder head has to be machined flat (£60 approx) and most of a day for the work plus parts.
An independant garage should give you an accurate quote.
John :)

hi there am not losing any coolant or oil,a was just wondering cause i have mayo stuff on my oil cap.i check the oil dip stick and theres no mayo stuff on it plus no signs of water in the dip stick ?

Probably just due to cold, short runs......engines produce lots of water / chemical condensate and usually this boils off (or it should in the summer). However, as the engine rarely gets scorching hot, this condensate condenses ( :p ) at the coolest part of the engine, i.e the rocker cover. If you were to take the cover off, you'd see loads more inside!
In the good old days, this condensate vapour was allowed to breathe away outside, and then someone had the bright idea of routing it through the air cleaner, where it choked up the carb and filter :D
It has to be burnt nowadays to prevent pollution.
So - check the coolant regularly, wipe away the grot from the oil filler cap from time to time, and worry ye not.
P.S Diesel drivers will be smug here, as its only the petrol engines that are really affected :p

Sponsored Links
thank you for all the info,one more question m8 how do i get rid of that stuff under the rocker cover cheers ?

Only by unbolting the rocker cover, lifting it clear and wiping it mate.....although you could ignore it! Most petrol cars have this for years, and to be fair it doesn't do any real harm, although it sometimes clogs the breather pipes up.

hi m8 were is the rocker cover and could anyone do it or do i need to put it into garage to get it done cheers for info,a was just worried cause its in the oil cap bit,the breather pipe a managed to clear but the thiner breather pipe a could"nt get that one cleaned because a did"nt know were its attached to

rocker cover is usually the cover around near the oil filler cap, covers the tops of the cams.

depends on the car but on the girlfriends 206 it's a 20min job, remove a selection of bolts and a breather pipe then it's clear to clean.

not sure on the Corsa

p.s the usual test for head gasket failure is a colour changing liquid you put in the coolant to see if exhaust gases have found their way into it, if they have then the liquid changes colour

hi there the rocker cover do i need any gaskets for it do you know ? is that all that comes off the rocker cover and nothing eles,so nothing will pop out or anything,or how much would it cost for a garage to do it thank you?

Sponsored Links
Back