Cost-benefit:Lining paper v skimming (when repainting walls)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to have all the walls in the house repainted.

Almost all the walls have been lined and some have been wallpapered.

Where the lining is in s poor condition, the job will involve taking off the old lining paper before repainting.

The house is 1930s, with a 1980s extension, and I understand that the plaster whilst in good condition is a bit bumpy compared with modern plaster jobs. Also previous workmen have not always done a great job on making it flat.

Decorators who have been around to look at the house are recommending relining in places where the joins in the lining paper are obvious or where there are cracks in the plaster/lining paper/paint.

I was wondering roughly, how much more would it cost to skim the plaster and paint vis-a-vis reline and paint (as a ratio)?

Furthermore apart from the fact that a skimmed wall, should in principle, look better than a relined wall, is there any other benefit to having a skimmed wall? I.e. will it last longer?

Sponsored Links

Where the lining is in s poor condition, the job will involve taking off the old lining paper before repainting.

I was wondering roughly, how much more would it cost to skim the plaster and paint vis-a-vis reline and paint (as a ratio)?

Furthermore apart from the fact that a skimmed wall, should in principle, look better than a relined wall, is there any other benefit to having a skimmed wall? I.e. will it last longer?
No it won`t last longer - and the paper will have to come off wherever it`s to be skimmed

Plasterer plus lad will skim a prepared room x four walls, two passes, in a day

Round here that's about £250. That would be 10x14 room, ceiling not requiring work.

A decorator could spend three days taking off paper, fixing plaster defects and then lining.

The dilemma is that if you go to a skim (which is best given that you end up with straight walls) the radiators out, sockets off and you or another person would have to prepare the wall via removing any paper, and the first coat PVA.

There also issues with meeting the skirts, dado, picture rail or and cornicing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back