Cost for leak investigation/repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a leak coming in to the ceiling and had a local roofer out to quote (just for info, due to the nature of the ceiling it is not possible to get access to the tiles or felt from inside the property). The quote is for £450 + VAT, to cover erection of a mobile scaffold tower and ladder access to the roof, then stripping back (plain) tiles over the ingress area and investigating the source. Source is suspected to be a pipe flash collar around a mushroom vent, and the replacement of the collar / making good the tiling is included in the quote. Just want to check if this sounds reasonable? I am based on the North Shropshire/South Cheshire border.

Sponsored Links
new pipe collar around £29.99 plus vat, tiles around 30p each. scaffold maybe £50 per day hire. 2 hours labour max. it sounds slightly high cost to me

And how much is the scaffold to erect then? Does the roofer carry a stock of the OP’s tiles then or does he have to go and buy them? What does he do with the other 2 hours of his morning or afternoon? Put his feet up?

I think that's a bit on the steep side TBH
Between £250 and £300 would be a more realistic price . at least around my area it would be

Get more quotes and take the average to give you a better idea of the going rate in your neck of the woods

Sponsored Links
new pipe collar around £29.99 plus vat, tiles around 30p each. scaffold maybe £50 per day hire. 2 hours labour max. it sounds slightly high cost to me

Include his time getting the collar from the b/merchants, time collecting and taking back the tower, and overheads.

And how much is the scaffold to erect then? Does the roofer carry a stock of the OP’s tiles then or does he have to go and buy them? What does he do with the other 2 hours of his morning or afternoon? Put his feet up?
2 hours would be enough to put up tower and sort that leak, renewing pipe collar would take around 30mins max, ok i will allow extra hour for collecting materials. For extra couple hours he can program in another easy job to maximise his scaffold costs

new pipe collar around £29.99 plus vat, tiles around 30p each. scaffold maybe £50 per day hire. 2 hours labour max.

... roofers life going up on the roof .... priceless

For everything else there's travellers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back