Cost of replacing WC ball valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our loos wouldn't stop filling last week and was overflowing on to the floor through the handle hole. The cistern is rather narrow and the plumber had to fiddle around adapting the replacement valve to fit the space. I wondered if he had bought the wrong one. This morning we received a bill for what seems an astronomic amount; won't tell you yet how much. What is a reasonable sum for this job? He tried replacing the plastic disc thing (torvic valve?) but that didn't work so was supposed to have tightened the nut so it wouldn't go on filling and would come back next day to fit a new ball valve; we have another loo so that was OK. We had to go out for an appointment and when we returned the bathroom was flooded so he hadn't turned it off after all. I improvised a series of bowls to catch the drips overnight. We turned off the stopcock downstairs but that only stops water getting into the tank and we couldn't go up to the loft to see if there was a valve to stop water leaving the tank. He didn't bother to do that either; just turned on the bathtaps till the tank was empty. Big water bill coming up no doubt.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Bit more info required.

Was it an emergency call out
What time of day was it
How long was he there
Did you ask his rate before going ahead.

Rico

Water costs about £1 for a cubic meter. Most tanks are less than that !

When I hear you talking about "big water bills" it makes me think that you may imagine that a plumber is some kind of ignorant irk who should be paid the same as a dinner lady. ( Sorry to any lovely dinner ladies! )

As you have not mentioned the size of the bill we cannot comment on your particular case. I expect you have two cars and one is a large 4 X 4 but do you complain when it costs over £100 to fill the tank?

Nor have you explained why there is apparently no overflow !

We used to replace ball valves in toilets for £48 in our local area but thats now totally unrealistic and we usually quote about £64-£74 on a fixed price basis.

Many plumbers charge by the hour and that can include driving to buy parts so at say £35 and hour that could easily reach over £100 if there are complications.

Tony

Surely, the first thing he should have done, would be to fit an isolating valve on the pipe feeding the loo, as per water regs.

Then, if a problem occurs in the future, you could easily turn off the supply to the loo without affecting the rest of the house.

I would expect a plumber to carry a wide variation of float valves, as they are regularly changed.

Ordinary float valves cost around £4
Torbeck valves cost around £10
I would happily change one for £40 (most of my work is within 8 miles)

10 of those a day is not a bad day's earnings.

Sponsored Links
Anything between say £40 and £100 would be the norm as some have a fixed fee..... Anything above 100 is taking the pish

Surely, the first thing he should have done, would be to fit an isolating valve on the pipe feeding the loo, as per water regs.

Then, if a problem occurs in the future, you could easily turn off the supply to the loo without affecting the rest of the house.

I would expect a plumber to carry a wide variation of float valves, as they are regularly changed.

Ordinary float valves cost around £4
Torbeck valves cost around £10
I would happily change one for £40 (most of my work is within 8 miles)

10 of those a day is not a bad day's earnings.

Desperate for work are we? lol

Sometimes you just can't get an isolating valve on there, and yes its water regs to fit them on new installations, and its 'nice' to fit them if you can, but its not always possible. Quite often the valve in the airing cupboard is seized to turn off the cold supply, and the tank connectors have horrible nobbles on them so you can't bung them, so the only way to do it is to drain the Cistern in the loft - he may have done that to save messing about and time. It can go into 2 hrs if there are complications, and coming from Herts myself, where the average hourly rate is £50-55 / hr then it is likely to be over £100 just for the labour. Sometimes those Bl**dy Torbecks are a pain in the a*se, and sometimes, depending on what cistern and syphon you have fitted, the new BV you want to fit doesn't fit so you have to mess about trying to get one that does. Sometimes, these things just happen as they do and its not the plumbers fault - they're usually doing the best they can for you and would rather be at home with their feet up drinking a nice cup of tea!!

I wouldn't pay him til the jobs complete, but maybe have a bit of compassion for him and treat him as an intelligent, skillful fellow human being and you may all walk away pleased in the end. Your attitude may need to change if you want a peaceful life with no small claims against you.

but maybe have a bit of compassion for him and treat him as an intelligent, skillful fellow human being and you may all walk away pleased in the end. .

Who didn't isolate the toilet, that didn't have an overflow, that flooded the place! :LOL:

Yeah but no but WHO made the toilet with no overflow- either piped or internal :?: Was it the Yuk FU Bog. Co. Ltd. on the banks of the Yangtsee river :LOL:

Yeah but no but WHO made the toilet with no overflow- either piped or internal :?: Was it the Yuk FU Bog. Co. Ltd. on the banks of the Yangtsee river :LOL:

Yes, as the late, great Benny Hill would say 'sirry iriots'!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back