Cost Sharing For Urgent Work Outside Of Building

Its questionable that you should have paid for a problem which did not affect your flat either!
Tony

Yes, but I did, and they should remember that works both ways.

Kitchen sinks dont normally freeze up either unless you had a dripping tap and were not leaving the plug in place.
Tony

Why would I leave the plug in place, that would be silly as if the tap washer burst the sink would fill and flood the neighbour below. Anyway I always make sure both taps are fully turned off when not in use.

Sponsored Links
In freezing weather a dripping tap will almost certainly cause the waste pipe to freeze and block. The plug in place will hold the water until you can let it all out in one go.

Then the sink will fill up and overflow anyway.

The sink anyway has an overflow drain although once this is reached the waste will freeze soon afterwards.

Tony

we need to turn this on its head you are watching the telly and someone knocks on your and asks for £30 as a share off the cost off a blocked drain
your reaction would be what blocked drain??? and why didn't you ask me first??

how many did you actually ask before you commenced ?
did you contact your council before commencement??

if the work was some body elses responsibility[council/ water board management community etc ]then you need there permission first or pass the problem there way or shoulder the cost and try and retrieve it with no legal redress as you acted without consensus off the correct body or via the correct channels

Surely this sort of thing even in Scotland would be covered by whatever the management agreement is, be that tenant (Owner) owned and managed or as a managing agent?
You share a roof, drains, integral stairs, lifts, outside walls, communal areas, surely even in Scotland there is an agreement in place for this sort of stuff, you will have a copy of the rules and this agreement the only thing you can do is act according to those rules, you can’t make them up as you go along.
You may need over 60% of people’s permission to do what you have done, which you didn’t have the other time they may have had this will all be covered in the agreement if tenant owned and managed or in the agreement with the managing agent if paid to a managing company
I am not Scottish and don’t even begin to imagine how this works in Scotland, but in England this would be the only acceptable way surely

Sponsored Links
Now that the Feu Duty and Feudal Superiors have largely been bought out the Scottish law is not a lot different and in many ways simpler.

However, when councils are involved actually getting anything done can be very longwinded.

A further problem she has not mentioned is the council tenants in the block. We all know that they are scroungers, dont work, and certainly dont expect to ever contribute to anything.

Tony

A further problem she has not mentioned is the council tenants in the block. We all know that they are scroungers, dont work, and certainly dont expect to ever contribute to anything.

Tony
you have now tried in one sweep tried to demonise all people no matter how hard they work and struggle to pay the bills as if they are scroungers
1/3 off working people live in council /private housing

Have a read of this: tells you what the responsibilities are

http://www.communitiesscotland.gov.uk/stellent/groups/public/documents/webpages/hmcs_006465.pdf

I live in a tenement building without a maintenance contract and where the issue is a communal one, ie roof, main drains, stair lighting etc etc would be happy to pay, and would realise when it was an emergency or not, to put something right.

If its just a part of 'your' drain that doesn't affect anyone else I'm afraid I would tell you to beat it.

you have now tried in one sweep tried to demonise all people no matter how hard they work and struggle to pay the bills as if they are scroungers
1/3 off working people live in council /private housing
Tony=Irony :p And a damned site more than one third would be in council houses If it hadn`t been for .................The Grinch :mrgreen: :LOL: Merry F`king Christmas :LOL: :LOL:

...My question really is am I within my rights to bill each tenant for their share of the cost baring in mind I didn't do it through the council...
The simple answer is: unless explicitly agreed, landlords can not charge tenants for repairs

If its just a part of 'your' drain that doesn't affect anyone else I'm afraid I would tell you to beat it.

Would you have told whoever arranged for someone to be called out to clear blocked drains at the back of the building which doesn't affect you?

When I say the back I mean there are tenants that face the front and some that face the back.

And to be honest the guy that came said as long as it is outside the building I was at liberty to ask the tenants for a share of the cost.

...My question really is am I within my rights to bill each tenant for their share of the cost baring in mind I didn't do it through the council...
The simple answer is: unless explicitly agreed, landlords can not charge tenants for repairs

The majority of the house holders own their property, only a few rent.

Can I just also add that prior to the work commencing I had actually tried to speak to at least 5 neighbours all of which were either out or as I know for a fact decided not to answer the door.

Xmas holidays were coming up, and I did not have any more time to waste therefore the plumber was contacted.

Reading page 15 on that document under emergencies answers all perfectly, and this is how I performed myself, so I am disillusioned by those on here that thought I was totally wrong, perhaps if you were found to be in a similar position you would have done the same.

... I am disillusioned by those on here that thought I was totally wrong, perhaps if you were found to be in a similar position you would have done the same.
Being wrong in what you believe to be your right, and doing the right thing, are two totally different issues in this country.
Logical as what you have done may be, you will have a very hard time getting your money back unless the other parties volunteer to pay you.

... I am disillusioned by those on here that thought I was totally wrong, perhaps if you were found to be in a similar position you would have done the same.
Logical as what you have done may be, you will have a very hard time getting your money back unless the other parties volunteer to pay you.

Yes, but they need to remember that if they decide not to pay their share and find themselves in a similar situation they shouldn't expect me to pay a share of their cost.

Can I just also add that prior to the work commencing I had actually tried to speak to at least 5 neighbours all of which were either out or as I know for a fact decided not to answer the door.

Xmas holidays were coming up, and I did not have any more time to waste therefore the plumber was contacted.

Reading page 15 on that document under emergencies answers all perfectly, and this is how I performed myself, so I am disillusioned by those on here that thought I was totally wrong, perhaps if you were found to be in a similar position you would have done the same.

now you have followed the advice i gave you on my first responce you have given us further information
we can only answer on the information given if its not accurate or complete its up to you to when we ask to try and provide the information that through experience we know to be relivent :D :D ;)

i suspect all you can do is ask nicely for a contribution playing on there better nature

do you pay any mantainace/ management charges what does your lease/official documents from the time off purchase say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back