Cost to re-render detached house approx 200m2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently moved into a house where a lot of the render is knackered. Rather than patch up the knackered bits we're considering having it all redone (it's ugly rough stuff at the moment).

We had a local guy quote to hack it off and re-do it. He's quoted £14k to do it in sand + cement and that doesn't include painting or scaffolding.

I reckon it's about 200m2.

This was quite a bit higher than I was expecting. He said it would take about 3wk, which even allowing for 2k materials works out at about £114/hr (for 1 person).

What do others think? A lot or about right? Ta

Pic of the house:

Sponsored Links
Send him packing. Nearer £200 in materials than £2000.

Also be very wary of sand and cement jobs - they nearly always fall to bits after a year or two. That ugly stuff (as you call it) lasts for decades.

Did he park his caravan around the corner?

Seriously consider repairing what you have, if not then go for the rough stuff and pay £5 - 7K.

Thanks for the response Joe.

What is the 'ugly stuff' then if not sand + cement?

We are also considering external wall insulation - just waiting for quotes to come back on that.

Ta

It's got aggregate in it. It's more like concrete.

Sponsored Links
What do others think? A lot or about right? Ta

Pic of the house:
I think you should wait until the weather gets warmer - and if you`re not too far into Surrey from the A23 - we`ll give you a quote that`ll include travel from Sussex - and still be cheaper than a Surrey Rogue ;) PS you can get a local scaffolder .

Although I disagree with joe that render will only last a couple of years, (it will also last decades if done properly) his overall price is about right top end ,depending on the kind of beads you use

I don't like to quote for an area I don't work in but even at £25/m2 that's 5k plus scaffolding. Hacking off is a total guess as that depends on how knackered it is and if it all actually has to come off.

With your roof there is no big gable to do?

I'd take Nige up on his offer of a quote

I hope you are up to spec' regards insulation or else you WILL have to upgrade to current thermal standards as per the law regards building reg's.

This could cost ££££'s.

Re-rendering is very conspicuous so you have been warned..... :p

Where does the 200 sq metres come from?

3 weeks work and a few hundred quid in materials.

Is he rendering over his windows and roof then?

I see, I was assuming the OP knew his measurements - but I would price the windows/doors in anyway, or else include reveals as a 'narrow widths' rate

It is easier and less time consuming to render a flat slab of a wall than one of exactly the same size but with doors and windows in it.

It is easier and less time consuming to render a flat slab of a wall than one of exactly the same size but with doors and windows in it.

Exactly, which is why we measure them in, or at a rate for narrow widths usually on the Bill of quants as 'widths not exceeding 300mm' for example.

But material wise obviously it needs adjusting

I've seen a house that size rendered in a week - how long would it take you?

I've seen a house that size rendered in a week - how long would it take you?

Me?

As a 1 and 1 ( who could throw on a bit) , I'd hope to finish a flank and scratch a flank every day (after the first day) if there is not too much detail and allow a day .

First day would be set up, bead /scratch.
Next day Finish that one and prepare the next, and so on

Last day, obviously just floating and tidy up

For big work We get £20 /m2, all measuered in, although I have heard of £17 and lower.

A one off house I'd look at it and give a price, a metre rate isn't really that relevant always.

And this time of year, it's not so much the size of the area you put on as when you have got it on - it needs to be able to take a float before it's too dark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back