Cost to replace skylight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry not sure if this belongs in the roofing sub-forum or Windows one.

Our single glazed skylight is causing us nothing but trouble. Lots of condensation in the morning has caused the wooden frame around it to warp and during heavy rainfall you can hear a drip in the cavity wall directly under it which a local roofer can’t find the source of but suspects it getting in somehow via the skylight/flashing but just can’t see the hole.

Going to phone around for quotes and just wondering what the average roofer would normally charge to replace a skylight? When I mentioned it to the roofer I had round he said something about it would be a full day’s work so around £550. That of course doesn’t include the cost of the new windows and flashing.

Is around £500 normal for this type of work?
Should it take a full day when it’s just replacing an existing one, so I would assume not much in the way of cutting into the roof would be required?

Sponsored Links
Is a standard pitched slate/tile roof? 250 a day is our charge and a window with flashing kit around 300. Are you sure the 550 wasn't all inclusive?

Is a standard pitched slate/tile roof? 250 a day is our charge and a window with flashing kit around 300. Are you sure the 550 wasn't all inclusive?

Yup standard slate roof.

The £550 I'm sure wasn't all inclusive. I will keep those costs in mind when calling around. thanks.

I paid £520 all in (supply and fit) for mine recently. That was a centre pivot, he quoted £600 for top hung.

Sponsored Links
Just thinking, £250 for a day, is that just to cover one person? I thought health and safety laws meant at least 2 people needed to work on a roof?

The roofer I use has two lads with him too for the full day.

The price you are getting quoted seems reasonable for 2 men and a tower scaffold...4 hrs straight swap over labour only.

Dont know the type of replacement window you are getting but would consider upgrading to a double glazed unit such as velux.

Mine was for 2 people. No scaffolding though, they did it from the inside. Once the old window is out they can reach through the gap to do flashing and roof tiles.

You can get a simple skylight for £80.

I really don't know what to think now with people saying the standard cost is around £250 and other saying it's double that :eek:

It's a one man job done from the inside in a morning. The unit costs £80. The rest is labour. One man for a morning. What do you earn for a mornings work?

Just an update. Tried Rated People and had someone just round now having a look.

He quoted £900 to supply and fit. Explaining because it's a large window that has caused the cost to be higher than normal.

I explained I was after a conservation skylight like this one:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/sites.../article/gallery/Rooflight3.jpg?itok=pDbPMevL

But he advised against it saying that in 10 years it will just leak as it has tons of screws and bits to it :eek: :?: Instead he suggested, what I think he said was a "unit" skylight, does that sound right? Saying it comes as one piece with the flashing attached and has no screws.

Is what he saying sound advice? My other half has her heart set on a conservation one so it looks good on the house and doesn't just want a large bare window.

Nothing wrong with conservation Rooflights, there are a couple of manufacturers to choose from, Avoid Rated People like the plague! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back