could i get planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two skylights in my converted loft, which is my bedroom. as well as not being able to look out of them, I also have the problem that if it rains especially if it is either heavy or windy, the rain comes into my bedroom and soaks my bed if they are left open. I was wondering if I can get planning permission to put in two dormer windows in the front. my next door neighbour has a dormer in the front, which he had put in sometime ago, and has told me that it isn't possible to get permission now. I always thought if the presidence had been set that I could get the permission.

Sponsored Links
It's very unusual for front dormers to be given permission, just because something else next door and maybe even every other house in the street looks crap is no reason to continue to repeat it. in my experience councils fight tooth and nail (and rightfully so IMO) to prevent front dormers. Planning precedents will likely be of no use here. But if you're determined you can always whack an app in and see what happens.

In principle each applications is taken on it's merits - plus the phase of the moon, whether the planning officer's wife told him off that morning, what the numbers were in the last lottery draw, ...

But if all you wanted was a couple of small dormers to make the windows vertical, and at least one other house in the street has them, then you might be in luck. You can ask the planers for an informal chat - but other than it being really bad and they say "don't bother", it seems you'll be told to apply for planning (in other words pay their fees) before they'll say anything on the record.

Sponsored Links
Down this neck of the woods the planners will ring you up and tell you to withdraw your application! Sounds like the OP should put together a convincing application and see what happens ......

I do know someone who is or used to be on the planning committee, it might be an idea to ask them. the dormers I want to put in would only be the size of the skylights so not big and hopefully with a pitched roof on so I don't think it would be ugly, but obviously that depends on what the council want I guess.

the dormers I want to put in would only be the size of the skylights so not big

It's probably impossible to build a dormer in the same location and of the same size as your rooflights. Roof angles, ridge heights and aesthetics tend to prevent it.

Planning committee members tend to be the least knowledgeable on planning matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back