Council Tax - Get Ready For A Rant

EFLI: The Council confirmed they would have asked the Court to issue a summons to me...
I was going to say "They would say that, wouldn't they?"

But - as it was their fault - the DDs just continue from year to year, don't they? Mine does.

What grounds would they have had for taking you to court because they have not taken the payment?

Are you sure it is not just a minion saying things after dealing with all sorts of people's excuses?

I've always wanted to receive one of those gas bill for two million pounds which people seem to have fits about - say nothing, get to court and have it thrown out.
I suppose someone would notice before it got that far.

Sponsored Links
Here is an extract from Gov.uk. How would you interpret the rules?

If you miss Council Tax payments
Your council will send you a reminder notice giving you 7 days to pay if you miss a payment. If you don’t pay within 7 days, you’ll have to pay the whole year’s Council Tax instead.

You’ll be sent a second reminder notice if you miss another Council Tax payment.

You’ll only get a maximum of 2 reminder notices every year.

Your council will send you a final notice saying you must pay the whole year’s Council Tax if you miss a payment for the third time.

If you don’t pay your whole year’s Council Tax within 7 days, the council may take legal action to get the Council Tax you owe.

You must pay the whole year if you don't pay arrears within 7 days of asking.

You must pay the whole year if you miss a third payment.

If you don't pay the whole year within 7 days then the council may take legal action.

So is it safe to assume that threatening a summons after missing a payment without requesting the full amount first is not lawful? If indeed it is law...

Last edited:
Not clear whether the second missed payment is consecutive or later in the year.

I would say it clearly states that you don't get a summons until the third payment is missed and you don't pay the whole year's amount.

Thank you, EFLI.

What the council sent me, along with a CT reminder notice was a piece of paper:

Sponsored Links
Mmm. Wouldn't think they work for us, would you?

I often wonder what happens to people when they get jobs with a little bit of authority.

As for the notice - it is craftily assembled and worded to frighten people, isn't it? It contains all possibilities for all occurrences.

Starting off with, in large print:
upload_2016-5-31_19-14-45.png

Do they ask the court to summons people?
I think they have their own forms for the initial stage which aren't really court summonses (although I may be wrong).

The only part which applies to you is:
upload_2016-5-31_19-11-46.png

Note the "ADVICE" although, the reference to the summons is clearly incorrect and contradicts/contradicted by the rest of the notice.

Another thing I have noticed about Council tax is that - say you continue paying from the next instalment.
That is you have missed one payment. In everyone else's logic (unless it's just me. Is it?) you will be a month behind (for ever) and only ever be a month behind.
However, in the Council's thinking you still owe them April's payment no matter how long it carried on.

If you miss a payment, they re-jig the payment amounts for the remaining number of months left.

I'm being dumb again, sorry - I don't follow.

When I contacted the council, they rearranged the payments to start next month. The payments are a bit more than they would have been had I not missed the payment.

But it's all because of their f-up. I am sending a strong letter complaining about their behaviour and the intimidating wording of that "advice". No doubt they will defend their position and not apologise....:rolleyes:

When I contacted the council, they rearranged the payments to start next month. The payments are a bit more than they would have been had I not missed the payment.
Oh, sorry. I didn't realise.

But it's all because of their f-up. I am sending a strong letter complaining about their behaviour and the intimidating wording of that "advice". No doubt they will defend their position and not apologise....:rolleyes:
No doubt. Unfortunately they are not the elected ones.

No, I got it!

Just trying to make a risqué joke about a disgraced ex ...

Sponsored Links
Back