Couple questions regarding fence panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look around, i hope this is the right forum for it?

QUESTION1:

We currently have 6x5 panels in place but they're that gone the next person to touch them & they'll just crumble.
These panels already stick up beyond the posts about perhaps 1". Not a lot.

My wife would like larger panels - 6x6, so obviously there's going to be another foot above the posts.

Just wondering if this will be ok such as in high winds?

I know it also depends on the quality of the wood. We're currently looking around for something decent & not wafer thin panelling, but just purely regards the height - is that likely to cause a problem?

She also mentioned seeing some post 'toppers'? That you put on top of your posts (funnily enough) & then put bigger panels in. These post toppers allow you to go for bigger panelling, but if i can do it without those then i'd like to save some money.

QUESTION2:

How on earth do you stop the panels rattling in the slotted posts during the winds?

Out the front we just stuffed some sponge in there but i'm sure that's not the best of ideas. They made an awful racket. It was difficult to get to sleep with that noise.

Sponsored Links
Wooden posts?

I have concrete posts and 5' panels but the posts extend 1' above and have arched trellis on top.
My fence doesn't rattle but the trellis was a little short compared to the panels so I added a thin strip of wood to each to pack them.

Wooden posts- you can get galvanised clips to stop rattles-

Dunno about extensions

Sorry i forgot to add that bit of information

No, they're concrete posts, not wooden.

I would have thought that with concrete posts, properly sunk and concreted, an extra foot would be OK
Better quality panels might help, as would shimming them for a tight fit.
I have a feeling that I saw plastic wedge type things in a fence supplier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the links. That second one looks the best bet although i'm not sure it'll work with the panels out the back since they already stick above the posts a couple inch. Might work on the ones out the front but i'd need to have a look when it isn't piddling it down.

Why not drop in a 1ft gravel board and raise the current fence on top , more secure than trying to add to the top.

Why not drop in a 1ft gravel board and raise the current fence on top , more secure than trying to add to the top.
Because the current fence panels REALLY need replacing as said in the OP. Honestly, touch them & they'll fall in bits.

Besides that, i don't see much difference between sticking a 6ft panel in in place of a 5ft
and comparing it to sticking another base panel in to raise a 5ft panel up another 1ft.

The end result is 1ft of wooden panel sticking above the internal posts. There's already 1 or 2 base panels in there too by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back