Coving coming away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put some 127mm gyproc coving up in the kitchen around 15 yrs ago, i noticed it starting to come away for some reason, there is now a 2ft section that is hanging down a little bit. I can get a gun in there with something and then prop the coving up for a while. What would be the thing to put behind it to hold it, can i drill and secure it with some sort of screw ?. Dont want to replace as kitchen been fitted since that was put up and not a lot os space to work in there.

Sponsored Links
Screw it back up & then plaster over the screws, & make good the edges.
Simple job, did it last week.

Screw it back up & then plaster over the screws, & make good the edges.
Simple job, did it last week.
Whats the best sort of screws for this, straight through the top side and into the ceiling i guess but wondering what screws, thanks.

Just get a tube of "Sticks like S##T " and squirt it along the edges of the coving and stick it back up and put some wide masking tape along the coving and ceiling and take the tape off when it has set. Clean off any of the adhesive that spills out before you put your tape on.

Sponsored Links
I used decking screws.
When I had coving installed by a pucker guy, he said it should always be screwed.

Never heard of screwing coving up!!I have put miles of coving up over the years and we have used dry wall adhesive and even cheap tile cement and so called coving adhesive, but never heard of screwing it up. When its up all you want to do with it after the adhesive is dry is paint it.. Not mess about and fill screw holes!!! And what we did when we were joining lengths of coving was to mitre them at 45 Degrees , better than a flush joint..

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back