Coving Question (Drying Time)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm installing coving tomorrow (Gypsum 127mm) using the Gypsum cove adhesive.
How long do I need to leave the adhesive to dry before I can start painting with a mist coat?

Many Thanks

Happy Easter

Sponsored Links
Hi All

I'm installing coving tomorrow (Gypsum 127mm) using the Gypsum cove adhesive.
How long do I need to leave the adhesive to dry before I can start painting with a mist coat?

Many Thanks

Happy Easter

I'd give it until the next day, just to be sure the adhesive has set and the coving doesn't move when accosted with a paintbrush.

Pro Dec's often differ in their methods regarding the application of cornice, the porosity of plaster/skim is vast and can often reduce the natural drying times of a bonding agent. Therefore it is advisable to first apply a mist coat in order to both seal and quell the rapid absorbtion factor.

Another method paying regard to the application of any form of cornice/cove on to bare skim (yet this is a method of which for you) I do not recomend,would be to strike a a pencil line at the exact depth of the cove and working slightly above the line apply a coat of pva.

In the mid 70s going foward to the late 80s Artex was not only used as a decorative textured coating but also as the finest bonding agent regarding the application of cove/cornice.

Dec

Sponsored Links
But Artex was never the devils work, and still remains to be the finest bonding agent regarding the application of cove. yet there are some rather heavy paris cornices that may just object to artex as a bonding agent. And with your time within the trade you really should be aware of them.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back