cp12 appliance not tested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. whats the legal position on doing a gas cert when an applaince hasnt been tested.
for example if i do a gas cert ,there may be a lodger in the house. so im only asked to do in his room and boiler but not fire as the lounge is out of bounds to lodger. legally i am covered if i just note
fire --- requested not to test at time of inspection or does.
?? thanks

Sponsored Links
I will revise the GSIUR1998 and confirm the Legal connetations of this.

But for the meantime, I'd be saying its 'morally' wrong to not even look at the fire.

I'm pretty sure there's an obligation to visually inspect every appliance in the property, as you may have to isolate a Pilot Light for a Tightness Test and/or Purge&Re-light when done.

How do you intend to do so, unless you at least visually inspect the appliance?

Good Practice = More Business.

It may be out of bounds to a lodger but CO knows no bounds. I would have included it myself as I do a lot of these. The only thing you can omit from a CP12 is an appliance of the tenants. Make mention of its existance and ask them if they want it inspected at THEIR cost as the LL is not duty bound in that respect.

HOWEVER

the LL is reasponsible for maintaining any flues ;)

Clear as mud or what eh? :rolleyes: :LOL:

umm i have to take issue on the morallly wromg .
it is the landlords/homeowners responsibilty tomaintain the safety of their installation. i would add recommend checked/serviced as an additional note.
btw social housing tenants own applainces cookers and fires is mere visual. no testing. as we know visual doesnt mean very much especially on grill etc. fire on dfe just vent, soot , damper , hearth by n large. so i think morally it too strong.
afterall if i were do to a pat test and homeowner says leave the tv , and their was an incident. sorry but i wouldnt have any problems sleeping. his choice. same with homeowner who didnt have it fire or cooker rtested. even if you issued an aR warning notice they'd still use once you go on your way. about people being informed , and if they cant take personal responsiiblty for their house hold its up to them!!

Sponsored Links
I work in social housing and our engineers positively record all gas appliances in the property at the time of the inspection, regardless of whether they are ours or not.

Tenant own cookers get a visual only. Tenant own gas fires, well, as oph pointed out we have a duty to ensure the flue we provide is safe. So that's at least flue flow and spillage, and inspection of flue route/catchment space.

The problem is that a Dead Tennant cannot testify that he or she did not want the cooker/fire/whaterver checked so the RGI would take the can I always list ALL Appliances Tested = YES Serviced = NO
that way you have demonstrated that you have done all you can and the Tennant has signed the CP12 as well ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back