Crabtree C50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can you help me please?

I need to replace this switch with one I have spare.
Mine has this info on it:

250/440V.50~AC
BS3871
415 3ph
Cat M3

Can this ine be used:

Cat M4.5 BS3871
240v 1ph
240/415v 3ph
ref cal temp 40 20

They are both 5amp.

Thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
IIRC,

The original C50 breakers (with white writing) were type 2 and M3 breaking capacity

While the newer ones with yellow writing were type 3/C and M4.5 breaking capacity.

[why they suddenly started making them all type 3 instead of type 2 I don't know]

So it sounds like you are wanting to change a type 2 to a type 3, in which case you'll have to confirm the earth loop is in spec

Hello
Thanks for the info.

I need to change it as some of the lights will not come on. All the MCB switches were in the ON position. The one I am changing didn't turn any lights off or on so I am hoping that this is the probelm.

Sponsored Links
There could possibly be a fault on the circuit which has caused the operation of the MCB in the first place (and it's demise). If that is the case changing it will not solve the problem. The circuit really needs checking first !

I still have some in the loft.

C50 is not an MCB. The "M" stands for miniature.

From what the OP specified, it appears that the C50 breaker had a maximum safe fault breaking capacity of 3kA.
The fault was probably greater than 3kA, hence the safety mechanism inside the breaker shut itself down permanently, indicating to the user that it needs replacing, having interrupted a higher current fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back