Cracked ceiling - how best to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The main bedroom of my 1960s house has a ceiling that's covered in painted woodchip. That alone would be bad enough, but there are also cracks along the plasterboard joints that are so bad they have come through the woodchip. My goal is to end up with a smooth, un-cracked, un-woodchipped ceiling! But I'm struggling to figure out the best route for achieving this.

A plasterer came round to give us a quote and said that if we remove the woodchip he can then skim the ceiling, and that will fix the cracks. However, having already gone down a similar route in the bathroom and seen the cracks then reappear a few months later, I'm sceptical this would work. I believe the plasterer put tape on first in the bathroom, before skimming, and that didn't help.

The plasterer seemed to think that it wasn't worth overboarding the bedroom, and said the cracks could still reappear through the new boards. Is this right? Surely there's more chance of getting rid of the cracks for good with overboarding than with just skimming the existing boards?

Any thoughts/advice/experience of similar issues would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It would help you if you could find the cause of the cracking - typically, you would have to go into the loft and look for the answer(s).
Removing the woodchip might show more but its usual to simply overboard and skim.
But overboarding on long spanned, sagging joists would not work - go up and see what you''ve got: check the bathroom while your up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back