Cracked Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Should I be concerned about the crack(s) in the drain shown here? The cracks are all at the upper side and don't go deep down, but I'm wondering if there is likely to be a problem if water gets through the gap etc...

I had a drainage company round very recently and it's very likely they might have caused the crack(s) while they dug up some concrete right next to the drain (as part of a much bigger job). But is it worth making a fuss about?

Cheers,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you should place your posts in the Building forum.

They are not cracks, but a smashed gulley, and it's recent damage. I'd suggest a call back to the last co. to work there. Caution that no loose gulley shards are dropped down into the trap. Clean out the trap when the hopper head is removed.

Note: the pipework draining into the gulley must reach into the centre of the cover grating.

They are not cracks, but a smashed gulley, and it's recent damage. I'd suggest a call back to the last co. to work there. Caution that no loose gulley shards are dropped down into the trap. Clean out the trap when the hopper head is removed.

Note: the pipework draining into the gulley must reach into the centre of the cover grating.
Sorry, this did seem the most appropriate forum but I'll look at that forum for similar topics in future.

How can you tell that the damage is recent, just in case I'm challenged on this? (I think it is because the cracks don't look aged in any way [plus there has been recent work there!], but is that how you are coming to the same conclusion?)

Sorry to be thick, but can you clarify exactly what bits the gulley (the cracked visible bit, I'm guessing), trap and hopper head are?

Sponsored Links
The gulley is the complete piece that forms the head and the trap, as in the yard gulley illustrated here:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain10.html

The hopper head is just the top bit and with some modern ones this can be replaced on its own.

The trap is the bend at the bottom.

As yours is the old clay type, it'll be in one piece and not possible to replace any one part, as would be possible in the "P" trap shown on the same link as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back