Cracked/Spalling lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to the forum but have been lurking for a while and got some good advice off other posts.

I and my OH are looking at buying a house (old Council house) and on the second viewing noticed some horizontal cracking on the ground floor lintels. From what I can tell they are concrete lintels, but a few are showing damage as shown in the attached pictures (shown worst examples).

Others on the street have cracks, with other houses having either new lintels or repairs from what I can tell from the street.

Would appreciate some advice on whether this is this the kind of damage that will require new lintels or can they be repaired? What sort of costs would be involved either way? I appreciated that no one can be too precise but would like an idea to see whether its worth the bother of getting involved.

Sponsored Links
Rebar corrosion due to lack of cover. Repair is futile. Allow to replace.

Thanks for the prompt response, confirmed my suspicions re replace/repair.

Are you sure that the lintels have not been sand/cement rendered and that is what's cracking up, not the concrete?

Sponsored Links
That might be the case the only thing that puts me against that is on the third photo I can see some kind of pebble/aggregate poking through, and but I'm not sure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back