Cracks between top of bookcase and ceiling - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago we had some built-in bookcases built and at the time the finish was well done. Having given the bookcase and the paint time to properly settle and cure, we eventually loaded it up with books and still - all was fine. Over the winter however we began to notice cracks developing where the bookcase met the ceiling. At the time these were being built I knew the carpenter had used what he called ‘flexible filler’ to fill the small gap between the top of the bookcase and the ceiling but the final finish looked absolutely fine at the time. Now - it’s pretty bad. My hope is that this is something I can repair myself but I need some guidance.

I assume I’ll need to carefully remove the filler that remains but need to know the best way to do this in order to prevent further damage. Having done it, what are the next steps and best methods to repair?

Any help is appreciated - photo is attached. Thanks
crack.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

I would recommend locating the reason why there has been moment and fixing it first.
Not enough screws to hold it in place? Structure built weaker than expected, giving way to settling?

After that you cold always use wooden mouldings along the joints ( B&Q) followed up with Caulk, then painted to match as you see fit.

Try these if the gaps are too big.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/stikatak-cork-expansion-gap-inserts-brown-pack-of-18/72555

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back