Cracks in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed wallpaper from the ceiling and now cracks are visible in long lengths where I assume the plaster board is joined up.

What is the best way to fix this and will it come back again?

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Open them up a little bit then fill, sand then fill again, sounds daft filling twice but that ensures the best finish.

I always use easi fill but that may not suit your needs as you probably won't need a big bag of filler, toupret is probably the filler of choice by others.

Is there a loft above with a lot of weight in?
If there is then you will always have this problem.

This in on the ground floor in the lounge, bedroom is above this and also has this issue too, with the loft above that.

You are pretty much always going to get some degree of cracking where the boards join, it is probably just lack of maintenace the reason being they are that bad.

Could even be the case that no scrim tape was used (fingers crossed that's not the case).

Sponsored Links
How would you know if no scrim tap was used? The cracks go the lengths of the plaster boards creating a grid on the ceiling, are they likely to quickly come back once filled?

How would you know if no scrim tap was used? The cracks go the lengths of the plaster boards creating a grid on the ceiling, are they likely to quickly come back once filled?

If you have a close look or even open the crack up a little bit you should see a mesh underneath.
If there isn't any then any slight bit of movement will create another crack.

If all is good then you shouldn't experience anything this bad unless there is a lot of weight above pushing down.

I suspect no scrim tape was used, and that's why the ceiling cracked at the joints, and this was why the ceiling was papered.

I suspect no scrim tape was used, and that's why the ceiling cracked at the joints, and this was why the ceiling was papered.

I think you are correct as I see no tape. What is the best course of action now?

Re-paper, but look for fibreglass or reinforced paper. You could tape the joints and the replaster the ceiling, but the cracks may still some back. The other method, is to overboard the ceiling, and then plaster it, but trying to rake out the joints, and just fill them is doomed to failure.

Tape and easifill do the job?

Have it re skimmed or as advised above board over then skim, which to me sounds a better option.
If you really are on a tight budget and want to do it yourself then the best option would be board over with tapered edge then tape and fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back