Creaky floor yet again, but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I read lots of threads about squeaky chipboard floor on this forum and today (encouraged by most suggestions) had a go at fixing it.
1. I bought floor - tite screws and put a lot! of them where the most noise comes from - although I saw the floor being pulled as I go , this didn't fix anything.

2. Took the skirting board off as the noise was coming from underneath the stud wall ( both bedrooms) and to my surprise I noticed that the whole stud frame is just hanging above the floor, there is a big gap ( 7-10mm) and in the place where it should be fixed to the floor - the nails are visible. Those nails make the nastiest squeak I've ever heard
2016-04-08 19.49.55.jpg 20160408_191221.jpg 20160408_191545_001.jpg

My question is of course how to fix it , what should be done first?
Nasty squeaks have been there for years but enough is enough ☺.
I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. This forum has been a great help and learning curve for me so thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
martalo, good evening.

Is this a ground or first floor problem? no matter which floor, either ground or first your problem could, I stress the word Could be a problem?

If you consider what appears to happen here is that the floor is possibly moving downwards, I will not use the word Subsiding because this word has unfortunate connotations?

Is the gap that has formed about central on the wall? and roughly centrally placed in the room? Have you any idea what is below the area of maximum gap between the bottom of the partition wall and floor?

Sorry if I am probing but unless the above is made clearer then a solution, that is why has the floor dropped could engender different potential resolutions?

The images you have provided are very good and give a clear indication of causation, a part pulled nail will squawk something rotten!

As I see it the Plasterboard partition and associated timber frame are acting in a monocoque fashion, that is the Plasterboard and framing, the framing being fixed to the other walls and ceiling are suspending the bottom runner of the partition and stopping it from also moving downwards, following the deformation of the floor.

Now for an off the wall Question?

If the problem is on a ground floor in a fairly modern Timber framed property with a concrete slab ground floor including a floating floor?? are you having to re-charge your Combi-Boiler more than once a month, or more than once a week?

Why this question? if your home is a timber frame, and if the problem is on the ground floor and if you are Re-Pressurising the Combi regularly, then you may? I stress the word may? have a leak under the timber floor from a leaky pipe under the floor that has been on-going for some time, you cannot see it but the floating floor joists have rotted and the floor surface is dropping?

Ken.

Hi KenGMac, thank you so much for your thorough reply.
1. The problem is on the first floor.
2. Yes, the gap is the biggest (widest) in the centre of the room but it runs from one end to another, whole length of the wall.
3. Do I know what is underneath? If you mean the gap - there is nothing in between timber frame and t&g flooring apart from nails. However there is a radiator with one copper pipe and two grey wires running underneath. 4. The property has been built in 1997 and has original gas boiler still fitted. Hopefully due to be replaced in couple months. So to answer your question , no I don't re-charge my combi boiler.

Ps. I had a big DIYNot moment yesterday. I went a bit too far with tightening the floor to the joists and screwed through a water pipe!!!
That was scary! But managed to fix it.
Don't I know the upstairs pipe layout now??

Sponsored Links
martalo, good evening, again.

Sorry to read about you finding inadvertently a live pipe?

To remove the squeak from the nails fixing the base plate in the partition to the first floor, I suggest you simply cut the nails? how? use a hack saw, but protect your hand with a very thick glove because your knuckles will scrape over the floor, Eclipse made at one time a hacksaw blade holder, even a junior hacksaw may work? if all else fails, use a thin cold chisel and knock the crap out of the nail [you will note the highly professional description of the latter?]

Now to the potential for a more serious issue? why is the suspended first floor moving downwards? is there a wall below the partition we are discussing? or is it a large open space? convention generally dictates that any partition should? I stress should have a joist / beam sited below it, just in case??

I would suggest that you ask your neighbours who live in similar properties do they have a similar problem of a dropping floor?

How old is the property? could you possibly make a claim for a so called "Latent Defect" with the original build? why, because a normal suspended first floor is not expected to move down wards by 10. mm ??

As for a fix, you can cut appropriately thicknesed timber about 50. mm wide by whatever thickness is needed and hammer the bits into the gap between the partition and the floor.

Hope the above will stop the squeaky problem??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back