Creative earthing and a few other crimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working on a house today that was built in the '30s, rewired in the '60s(ish), hacked about a bit in the '90s and had an extension built in the '00s. Each stage of modification has been visited by the bodge fairy...

The folks who built the extension evidently discovered the lack of earthing on the lighting circuit and came up with this solution...

View media item 96170View media item 96171
(ignore the yellow flex on the left, that's powering my work lights)

Yes, that is a bit of CAT5 data cable, the other end goes here...

View media item 96169
Only that's on the outlet side of a plastic tank and has dubious continuity with the water main.

Then there are the single unsheathed cores buried direct in the plaster...

View media item 96163View media item 96164
A plethora of crappy joints...

View media item 96166View media item 96167View media item 96168View media item 96175View media item 96173
Oh, and a few bits they never bothered to rewire at all...

View media item 96177View media item 96176
All on a 15 amp 3036 rewirable fuse, no RCDs in sight and the main earth is the lead water main. DNO are coming on Monday to see if they can supply a PME connection. New lighting circuits will be supplied via 2x 5 amp fused RCD spur units for now until I can convince the owner to open up the can of worms that doing an EICR for a new CU will be. I haven't looked at the socket circuits yet, and I hear there's power in the garage. I can't wait to see that, at the house end it's attached to a circa 1950s double pole switchfuse....

Do I get "dodgy find of the week" or can someone top this mess?

Sponsored Links
There is only one way to go with the existing and that is to tell the owner it needs a re-wire, in writing, pointing out the risks with the existing installation.

It sounds like you are installing a couple of new lighting circuits. The RCD spurs would end up being wasted money if the re-wire of the existing happens. I'd would recommend after making the owner aware of the state of it, to recommend to him that you install a new consumer unit (amd3 compliant) with plenty of spare ways adjacent the existing one. Split tails with henleys. That way when the re-wire goes ahead new circuits can be connected to the new board and at the end the old one can be removed

Owner is aware and already going for a full rewire of the lighting circuits, there was never any question of repairing them.

Sadly there isn't space in amongst the assortment of old fuseboxes to put in a new CU first and move things over, so it's going to have to be inspect and repair all circuits, then do the CU change.

Sponsored Links
I don't envy you in trying to repair the existing, the more you sort the more you will find :p

Watch out for the vermiculite though, some of it was contaminated by natural asbestos deposits, take appropiate precautions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back