these were usually fitted in local authority flats which were
heated with storage heaters.
I have tried without any success to obtain any information
re -adjusting these units.
Any help much appreciated.
Regards,
Mike. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think it's a weather sensor which controls the storage heating.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
I think they are linked to an outside thermostat,
The meter minder unit is located next to the two rate meter,and is in series with an Enbray contactor, if the knob on the front of the unit is
set to MIN the contactor will not close on the off peak period, so everyone
in the flats sets them to position7, MAX being position10. but no one seems to understand their function, and how they should be set, including the local council electrical department.
Regards,
Mike.

I can ask around at work on Monday as a few of the guys will have installed them in the past.

It varies the amount or heat stored depending on the temperature during the night.
Brilliant idea.

It's well known that, particularly in spring and autumn, when the weather is clear, and the cloudless nights are really cold, that it's also really cold during the day when there are no clouds to block out the sun.

It varies the amount or heat stored depending on the temperature during the night.
Brilliant idea.

It's well known that, particularly in spring and autumn, when the weather is clear, and the cloudless nights are really cold, that it's also really cold during the day when there are no clouds to block out the sun.

They were installed by local councils ...

They were installed by local councils ...
And by the landlord of the one room apartment I lived in in Germany 1971. Many days it ran out of heat by mid cold because the previous night had been warm. Also it played havoc with reception of BBC Radio 4 on long wave as it was thyristor controlled.

Useless form of heating.

Thanks for all the info so far,
My main concern is that could it switch the storage heaters on during the day rate period, a couple of days back I visited my elderly relative who lives in the flat, and found his heaters hot enough to fry eggs on, and this was early evening, they were not energised at this time, and the time clock indicated the correct time!.
Regards,
Mike.

My main concern is that could it switch the storage heaters on during the day rate period,

They can't do that, only control the input to the heaters by cutting off the supply from the time switch/tele switch

I found this discussion because I had the same problem trying to find out how to adjust my Creda Meterminder II.

What I did find out was this:

1. I saw it was made by a company called Pactrol. Their web site is here: https://www.pactrol.com

2. When I took the cover off the front, it reveals additional things you can adjust. Inside there were a couple of additional switches. No idea what these did until I went to the downloads section of the Pactrol web site and found details of a product called Weatherwatcher. This looks like a modern equivalent product.

3. Download the three documents about the Weatherwatcher from the Pactrol web site. In there you'll see descriptions of of how it works and what the switches do in the modern equivalent product. They look very similar from a functional point of view.

No guarantees as to whether this is correct but it looks like a good bet. You can always contact the manufacturer to confirm that the devices are the same thing.

You can connect it to an external temperature sensor or just hard wire a resistor to have a constant setting for non-weather dependant switching.

I still have the Creda instruction sheet but it doesn't say much other than how to adjust the dial on the front. I think my unit is configured for the wrong programme setting so I'm going to try adjusting the programme switches inside to see if that fixes it. I've uploaded the Creda instruction sheet here in case that's useful.

20190925071502.jpg20190925071644.jpg

@westie101 is dead, @ban-all-sheds has left the forum, and it is a 6 year old thread. Even the location Clwyd no longer exists. Flintshire did in the 1970's build some properties with a central heat store and fans to distribute the heat as required, I knew one person living in one of the houses and he reported switching off the storage heaters he still had stored heat he could use a week latter, seemed far better than normal storage radiators, however if he got a good week in April the house could get far too hot, as the heat was still coming out of the heat store. He lived in Lixwm near Mold which was Flintshire then became Clwyd and returned to Flintshire so could have well been part of the system talked about.

So sorry to hear about Westie and ban-all-sheds. Although it is an old thread, there may still be other people who have these controllers and want to find out about them. My Meterminder is used to control an electric underfloor system and not radiators. I thought it worth posting some notes here because aside from this, there wasn't any advice online about a Meterminder anywhere else. The initial question asking for information seemed to be unresolved which led to me doing the research into a solution myself. Pactrol have been trading since the 1970's and must have sold thousands of these units with or without the Creda branding so I'm quite surprised there isn't any other information online. Maybe this will help someone else if they search for Meterminder help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back