Crown non drip satin separating on door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi started painting over the old white paint on door frames ,not sure what there painted with but on most frames the paint has taken fine but on others it's separating and going patchy,so I'm guessing 2 different paints has been used previously ,the paint I'm using washes clean with water ,what's the best solution to get the paint to take,this only affects 2 door frames and the rest are fine...thank you

Sponsored Links
Might well be that the woodwork has been polished at some point, I had terrible trouble with some bedroom cabinets a customer asked me to paint.
Same sort of thing we decided it was her son who had been using WD 40 in his room.
A sand down and really through degrease with white spirit and sugar soap is the only thing I can suggest.
I was dead lucky with my job as her son used to refurbish pubs and gave me a small amount of something they used for re coating bar-tops etc.
A few drops in the paint was like magic, he told me the name, but that was 15 years or so back and I have no idea what it was I am afraid.

I assume you didn't sand before painting? You'd want to rough up the surface before repainting.

Did sand hand rail but didn't on the door frames, weird how it's taken to some frames ok but not others,il sand if that's only option, cheers

Sponsored Links
As others have said,good sanding & degreasing is a minimum,while you had no problems with other frames,they will probably chip easily if not prepared thoroughly,as satin finish not properly bonded.

When paint separates is a term known as cissing, the paint is telling you that it is not happy with regard to what is underneath it.

Dec

If old surface is rubbed down, will a water based satinwood cover the old paint if it's a oil based paint, cheers

Abrade and dust off the area, wipe down with a clean damp cloth, allow to dry and you should be fine to continue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back