CSCS card- experienced worker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been tiling now for 27 years, done it all. Just been offerd some work that requires a cscs card, something until yesterday i have never heard of as i now only carry out domestic work. Trying to get through this morning to the helpline and talk with someone but lines constantly busy. From what i can make out i need an nvq qualification to get a card. I do not have any qualifications and have no intention of going to a college to get any. I recently worked with a 'tiler' who 6 months ago was a shelf stacker, got his NVQ from a 'tiling college', what ever that is, and now he's a tiler. Now, no disrespect to him for trying, but he has not got a clue, none. From what i can make out from the FAQ's on the cscs website, they used to have a 'grandfathers rights' scheme but no longer. I understand the health and safety aspect of the card but is there a way for me to get a card without having to be assessed for my skills. Thanks

Sponsored Links
From what i remember of it is you need a qualification IF your applying for a (skills card) gold card, that tells the site forman you are the dogs danglies at your trade, if you can't supply any qualifications through whatever reasons or don't want to do a fast track course then the best you can hope for is a green card which is 'construction operative' i.e. a joey, gofer but who has passed a short 20min multiple choice H+S test

First check whether the contract states you need the CSCS to show proof of qualification OR whether its just to show the site forman your H+S conscious

Check this out, just a great big con if you ask me...

http://www.censura.co.uk/nvq/ewpa.html

Bloody CSCS card scheme is just another scam introduced by government to raise more money from the construction industry workforce. I forget how much it is now, but I got one a couple of years ago (gold card) and have yet to use it. Waste of money.

Very true John. I've just taken the test and gotten my card back. I did have one before and like you have never been asked to produce it. I was asked for on my last job but I was just told to say that I have one which tends to show how wonderful the scheme is. Because I'd let my card lapse (by about seven years I found out) I had to go through an appeals process to get the card back as I on the system but wasn't allowed to start all over again. Luckily I managed to get someone else to pay for it else I wouldn't have bothered, if I recall the test and card add up to something like £47.

Sponsored Links
Slightly off topic, but how can anyone 'not have a clue' about tiling? there isn't that much to it - practice surely?

Slightly off topic, but how can anyone 'not have a clue' about tiling? there isn't that much to it - practice surely?

ie trying to tile on wall paper,wall with blown plaster,or any other problem that requires someone with savvy on how to sort out the problem/s.

i dont have 1 of these cards either,and ive been a c&g qualified chippy for over 20 years.AND have never been asked to produce THAT EITHER.
but do remember when i was a subby and worked with a few regulars and a chap had his laminated and sitting behind his drivers seat.because every job we went on he was always asked for it.think it was because he looked about 10 years old.

Did you get anywhere with this? You don't need to do an NVQ to get the card but you will need to sit an assessment carried out (normally) by a local college that teaches your skill.

The assessment is called an EWPA - Experienced Worker Practical Assessment. They cost tho. And they cost a lot. The one near me was about £1000. It was a 3 day practical assessment.

It's a crazy scheme. By all means it's good to have people who know what they are doing but why should they have to fork out £1000! The whole CSCS thing looks like a money making scheme. People will literally NOT get work because of it OR be working illegally.

Go for the green card. As far as quals go you need sweet fa.
One day does the job and you can sleep through most of it.
£1000 is way out.
Think mine was a few hundred quid, though I didn't pay.
Lasts five years. Mines a bit scruffy now and 2013 can just be made out.
I intend doing some fine artwork to the 3 which will change it to an 8.
So another 5 years foc. :LOL: :LOL:
Happy days. :mrgreen: You need to stay one step ahead of these mugs.

Also some of the trainers will sign you through if you drop them a bung. ;) ;)
Know one guy who does this.

When I was out of work and needed one I asked the joke centre to put me on the course, I had to do it through learn direct though which meant they had to pay for it which in turn meant i had to sit a maths or English course and pass which ever one I chose, this meant learn direct got paid by the government for the course which meant they could pay for my cscs card, long winded I know and it only meant a green card for me, the h & s test is child's play and un failable

Had a job now for 3 years and never needed it, what a waste that was, 1 day a week for 7 weeks of maths :mad:

When I was out of work and needed one I asked the joke centre to put me on the course, I had to do it through learn direct though which meant they had to pay for it which in turn meant i had to sit a maths or English course and pass which ever one I chose, this meant learn direct got paid by the government for the course which meant they could pay for my cscs card, long winded I know and it only meant a green card for me, the h & s test is child's play and un failable

Had a job now for 3 years and never needed it, what a waste that was, 1 day a week for 7 weeks of maths :mad:

It is a shame the CSCS card is now mandatory on most sites because the test that backs it up is quite literally fail proof.

I believe it is just another way of generating revenue from the construction industry.

I intend doing some fine artwork to the 3 which will change it to an 8.
So another 5 years foc. :LOL: :LOL:
Just to let you kmow, the bigger firms do check with the CSCS registration people to see when your card expires. There's a full database history on their computer system.....

Sponsored Links
Back