Cuprinol wood preservative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am buying a new summerhouse/cabin and have bought Cuprinol Preservative Clear and Cuprinol Preservative Light Oak for its treatment in the hope I can produce my own colour...but doubt set in. Can I mix these two to get a lighter colour? I have contacted Cuprinol office and the "girl" who answered my query said its not adviseable BUT gave no reason..and she did not want to be drawn into the subject!!! :confused: I thought this was a bit unreasonable, so, can anyone please advise?

Sponsored Links
Cuprinol wood preserver is used before painting, staining and varnishing. So as to your question the answer must be no but to make sure you could phone back and speak to the 'technical department' (i'm sure they must have one)

Give all of the underside a good spraying as these parts will be unaccessible when built.

Andy

Try mixing some and see if they blend in or remain seperated. If the light oak stuff is waterbased then that might lighten up just by adding water. Again, try mixing a small amount.

I'd use just the clear on the base and the coloured stuff on areas that you will see. Don't use all of it, keep some back as you may discover that unpainted areas become exposed as the cladding boards shrink during dry weather.

Try mixing some and see if they blend in or remain seperated. If the light oak stuff is waterbased then that might lighten up just by adding water. Again, try mixing a small amount.

I'd use just the clear on the base and the coloured stuff on areas that you will see. Don't use all of it, keep some back as you may discover that unpainted areas become exposed as the cladding boards shrink during dry weather.
Thanks for your input Deluks, and your additional advice concerning mixing. Both of these Cuprinols are spirit based preservatives and it was my notion that other than the "colour," both are (or, logically) should be the same composition. Yes, mixing a small amount seems the obvious solution and may even be good news for others who may require an alternative lighter colour. IF this works, I can proceed and hold onto an additional amount for touching-in.
As a foot-note, the idea behind lightening the original colour is not only to achieve my own colour but also to reduce the effect of patching (over-lapping of applications) which can occur with darker colours over large areas.
I shall report back as per completion in a few weeks.
DSM

Sponsored Links
Cuprinol wood preserver is used before painting, staining and varnishing. So as to your question the answer must be no but to make sure you could phone back and speak to the 'technical department' (i'm sure they must have one)

Give all of the underside a good spraying as these parts will be unaccessible when built.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I'm obliged for your answer and YES, I contacted ICI's so-called Customer Care Dept making a "technical issue" out of this via an email (apart from my previous 'phone call) but again, all I had in reply was a flat "No". No reason was given to explain their negataive answer but I STILL maintain that the composition of BOTH preservatives are the same, albeit theres a colour constituent in the one. It would have been great to chat to one of their chemists, instead of "someone at the end of the phone line in an office".
I still maintain that a customer should be able to mix their own colour.
Bytheway, I spoke to a bloke in their ICI Dulux section and he agrees it should be no different than mixing a Dulux paint!!
DSM.

I would think that you can mix them but would have reservations about doing so.
Firstly I seem to recall (although I may be mistaken on this one) that the clear isn't recommended externally as it offers no UV protection which causes wood to bleach, the coloured maintains the woods natural colour.
Secondly if you do go ahead and mix make sure you measure every thing and mix too much to allow for variations and for maintance.
It doesn't really apply to you but I have seen preservatives darkened and coloured with paint stain, can't remember who makes it comes in a toothpaste size tube.

I would think that you can mix them but would have reservations about doing so.
Firstly I seem to recall (although I may be mistaken on this one) that the clear isn't recommended externally as it offers no UV protection which causes wood to bleach, the coloured maintains the woods natural colour.
Secondly if you do go ahead and mix make sure you measure every thing and mix too much to allow for variations and for maintance.
It doesn't really apply to you but I have seen preservatives darkened and coloured with paint stain, can't remember who makes it comes in a toothpaste size tube.

Thank you ladylola. I shall be underscoring this issue ASAP after I have put this to the test and will then leave a note to that effect soon after to yourself, Andy and deluks.(Rain, rain, go away! lol) :p

You can mix Colron Wood dyes into Cuprinol Clear. I have done it myself. That way you can have pretty well any colour you like. Do it on the last coat or two though, as the preservative washes away existing dye. Once it has soaked in and dried it seems OK. I finished mine with linseed oil BTW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back