Custom light fittings - self built from components

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Thinking of putting together my own light fittings, constructed from component parts, and was wondering if there are any particular regulations/legislation the finished article needs to comply with? I would not be looking to sell the fitting, however I wouldn't want to find myself up the proverbial creek with the home insurance company, and I wouldn't necessarily want to replace them if I come to sell the place.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Woody

Sponsored Links
View media item 45891
This is a bit of a tricky one. In theory the legislation doesn't differentiate between items for sale and items for personal use, so strictly speaking you're supposed to go through the whole process of CE compliance even for a one off. That would include showing compliance with the Low Voltage Directive, the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive and a whole host of other safety related legislation. In practice however, that would be so laughably cost and time ineffective that the likes of radio amateurs, etc who use home built equipment everyday simply couldn't do it. I don't know what the attitude of insurance companies is to this sort of thing, but I suspect if you had the finished article inspected and tested by someone suitably qualified, that would be sufficient to cover your ***

Last edited:
Might help if you gave a bit more information on what you have in mind. What materials ? Wood ? Metal ? Plastic ?
If it's metal then you need to think about making sure it's all earthed - personally I'd not bother trying to do double insulated. If it's not metal, you need to think about heat - don't melt or set on fire wood/plastic.
I was going to write that it's mostly just common sense - but what might seem just obvious to those with electrical training/experience might not be obvious to someone without. So perhaps when you've got some ideas settled, sketch them out, and between us we can probably suggest if it's good/bad/just needs some tweaks.

To be honest if you're able to have the light made up from standard components with an LED bulb, and just customise the shade, as it were, you'd have a much easier time regarding safety. If you want to actually do the wiring and place the lights accordingly, I'd again recommend a ready made power supply and an ELV circuit in the bit you are customising. But even then you have to be careful of high currents if you want the light to be bright rather then just decorative.

Sponsored Links
In theory the legislation doesn't differentiate between items for sale and items for personal use

Why do you say that?

I thought this sort of regulation normally applied only if you "make a supply" or "bring to market", or similar wording.

Why do you say that?

I thought this sort of regulation normally applied only if you "make a supply" or "bring to market", or similar wording.

According to the HSE, CE compliance requirements also include the wording "put into service"

Edit - Actually further reading suggests that "put into service" applies to compliance with some directives but not all.

Last edited:
Indeed, I thought most of the regs used the term "place on the market" - and are explicit that that means when it's imported (into the EU) for sale, or manufactured (if it's made or assembled inside the EU) for sale. This doesn't include making something for your own use.
And there will be different rules for a domestic vs commercial/industrial environment - with the latter bringing in all sorts of work related regulations which don't apply to a homeowner in his own home.
There's bound to be a lot of grey areas ... such as EMC. AIUI, if you make something for your own use then the EMC rules largely don't apply (not "placed on the market") but our Wireless Telegraphy act would still apply if you make something that kills radio use for 1/2 a mile around you !
And one that's pertinent to me at the moment ... what about when the house is sold with the light fitting in it ? Does that count as "placing on the market" ? Mum is downsizing, and the nice wall lights Dad made are staying with the house. But then, who's going to know or care ?

You are familiar with 'normal' light fittings, yes? Use them as your guide and build yours to a better standard. Then you'll be OK. That means if it is not earthed then it must be double insulated. If it is not double insulated then every metal part must be earthed. You may have to experiment to check that your materials can tolerate the heat of the intended bulb. If you doubt this then you could of course put a big label on it saying "7W max" or whatever, i.e. restricting its use to LED lamps. Document the process to show due diligence.

You are familiar with 'normal' light fittings, yes? Use them as your guide and build yours to a better standard.
I'm not sure that's enough - given just how flippin carp some of them are. I got asked to put some up for a mate, supposedly DI but no provision for maintaining the DI at the terminations in it's metal "rose" and no provision for earthing the metal "rose" :rolleyes:
Other than that, I tend to agree.

Many thanks for the replies folks.

Bit more info as requested:

> Replacing carp wall lights with surface mounted galv. steel conduit box with spouted cover joined to a bend piece with a threaded E27 lampholder, internally wired in 2-core 0.75mm pond flex to a wago block in the conduit box. Circuit earth shall be connected to an earth tag on the conduit box thereby earthing the whole fitting (all metallic parts will have strong mechanical connection by way of the threaded joints). The whole thing may or may not get a couple of coats of spray paint on the outer surfaces, depends on the look of the steel. Lamp is intended to be LED filament lamp, up to a max of 8W.

> Replacing ceiling rose with multi-outlet version which has two outlets, fabric covered cable running out to lampholders looping over ceiling mounted hooks before dropping as pendant. Cable shall be 3-core 0.75mm with earth connections made at each lampholder. Lamps are intended to be Philips Hue 9W colour ambiance.

Indeed, I thought most of the regs used the term "place on the market" - and are explicit that that means when it's imported (into the EU) for sale, or manufactured (if it's made or assembled inside the EU) for sale. This doesn't include making something for your own use.
It can, if that "for own use" is in connection with a business. For example, if you make your own luminaires for use in your cafe, they are required to conform to the CE marking procedure.

if you make your own luminaires for use in your cafe, they are required to conform to the CE marking procedure.

I think in that case they are required to be safe. But they aren't required to do everything else e.g. retaining paperwork for 10 years, actually bearing the CE marking, etc. etc.

They are [required to display CE marking etc on items that are self-manufactured and not sold] although prosecution for non-compliance seems unlikely.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, secrion 14(2), says: "For the purposes of this regulation a supply shall include the provision of electrical equipment by a manufacturer for use in his own premises and where a supply consists solely of such provision paragraph (1) above shall apply to the supply as if the words “and 9(1)” were omitted."

Section 9(1) - which that paragraph says does not apply in the case of self-supply - is the one that requires CE marking. The only requirement left in 14(1) is then 5(1), which requires that it is safe.

Pedantic maybe, but you will be selling them if you leave them behind when selling the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back