Customers cancelling jobs etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How often do you guys have to deal with customers who cancel jobs on the last minute?

Reason i ask is i was supposed to have started a bathroom job recently but customer has decided to change their mind, after getting me to chose bathroom suit for them, tiles, adhesive etc. This is the 2nd time this has happened recently. its almost as if they are getting me to help them select what they want with no intention of giving me the actual job and getting some polish dude to fit it on the cheap.

Sponsored Links
Several Plumbers I know will not supply any sanitary ware they only fit what the Customer provides, maybe that approach would help you??

In the Boiler Servicing & repair industry especially when going to a job for the 1st time it is not unheard of to arrive and find a competitors van already on the Drive - people call out several Companies and the 1st one there get the job :evil:

Un-ethical, nasty and downright dishonest!! -but nothing you can do :mad:

I was called to an emergency last night, when I got there the husband said to his wife "call the other company and cancel them"
Lucky I got there quickly! :eek:

As Boilerman has mentioned,................... I never supply sanitary ware, the customer can: pick it, buy it and call me once it has been delivered. I will of course go round and give them a price for fitting.

You will learn Naz that customers like to give Tradesmen the run around! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Although it doesn't apply in your case customers have been so used
to being let down by plumbers/heating engineers who can't even
keep an appointments. It is no wonder that they ring numerous firms
in the hope one will actually turn up!

If no contract signed, nothing you can do.

Incorrect. You can have a verbal contract, which is as binding as a written contract. You may have more difficulty in proving what was agreed, though; in that respect, a verbal contract may not be worth the paper it isn't written on.

As onetap says verbal contract is binding.
I got money back through small claims on heating parts i had brought once on the backup of someone that was with me when the parts i was to order was agreed with customer.

Lesson learnt now i always get a deposit and a signature.

Naz, I suspect that in this case you have been the victim of the underquote scam which some customers perform.

You visit, agree a price, help them buy what they need, even take it back to their home in your van!

They agree you will start after a few days. In the meantime they are ringing round to get a lower price.

Its even more amusing when they ring you again for a price if you have more then just one number.

Then there is the renegotiate! Last week I quoted £65 to supply and fit a new cooker hose. He said he would get back to me! Well he did the next morning and said that I could do the job but he wanted a lower price. It took me just two seconds to say "no thank you, goodbye".

If no contract signed, nothing you can do.

Incorrect. You can have a verbal contract, which is as binding as a written contract. You may have more difficulty in proving what was agreed, though; in that respect, a verbal contract may not be worth the paper it isn't written on.

That WAS the case, 1tap, but with the DSR, you effectively HAVE to have a sig4ned contract.

Agile, there is nothing wrong with a puynter asking for a lower price, I assume you do it all the time when buying in products. You can't blame them for trying. There is nothing wrong with saying no to the reduction, but why take a mood and walk away from the job? At least 75% of my customers in the shop ask for discount for cash, especially after I quote £XXXX including VAT. I say no everytime, and the most common response is "well, you have to try". And they are right.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Whats the best way to deal with customers like this? The type who can;t seem to make up their mind if they want you to do the job or not? The time i had planned to do the bathroom, i had to turn down other jobs because of it. They were not big jobs but combined the 3 jobs would have given me the same income as the bathroom.

Its very frustrating. Should i consider a call out charge to give a quote? Or charge for advice?

Now you`ve seen them - remember their dithering attitude . And beware of any others - 3 small jobs will allways be better than 1 bigger one . Tony is dead right ( and a fair price as far as I reckon ). You`re better not working for a day than being given the runaround by eejit customers. :idea:

its almost as if they are getting me to help them select what they want with no intention of giving me the actual job and getting some polish dude to fit it on the cheap.
It`s not Almost , Naz.. IT IS ;)

That WAS the case, 1tap, but with the DSR, you effectively HAVE to have a sig4ned contract.

You might be right, but I seem to recall that the DSR have clauses that cover instances where the contractor has to expend time and money within the cooling off period. I'd look it up if it were of interest to me, but it isn't at the mo.

Agile, there is nothing wrong with a puynter asking for a lower price, I assume you do it all the time when buying in products. You can't blame them for trying. There is nothing wrong with saying no to the reduction, but why take a mood and walk away from the job? At least 75% of my customers in the shop ask for discount for cash,

There is a difference between asking for a discount on a showroom gas fire priced at £200-£900 and a cooker job at the customer's home.

He had already done the quoting bit as he was ringing round for the best price. I gave him the best price and it still was not good enough for him!

Remember, the £65 includes a new cooker hose ( £12 in B&Q ) and going anywhere in London to do a job involves 30-40 minutes travel in each direction.

As far as I am concerned I quote uneconomic prices for that job, partly to discourage cowboy or DIY gas work and partly because it can lead to boiler repairs or replacement jobs.

Many though are in council properties and some are very dirty and the occupiers on hash or drugs. Not my favourite destination where I have to count the wheels on the vehicle when I return to it.

Tony

There is a difference between asking for a discount on a showroom gas fire priced at £200-£900 and a cooker job at the customer's home.

Possibly true!

Remember, the £65 includes a new cooker hose ( £12 in B&Q ) and going anywhere in London to do a job involves 30-40 minutes travel in each direction.

I wassn't disputing the fairness of the cost. It was actually quite cheap, less than me.

As far as I am concerned I quote uneconomic prices for that job, partly to discourage cowboy or DIY gas work and partly because it can lead to boiler repairs or replacement jobs.

You do what you do, but I wouldn't

My point was that you have spent time on the quote. Some customers feel they have to ask, and if you had politely explained ypour position, you may have got the deal. And your further work. We have to do it all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back