Customers From Hell

We list all the items and materials we will use on our quotes so that the customer knows what they are getting and can check or change the quote if they wish.

Guy accepts quote, we fit, all is working and he pays including tip for the lads and extended warranty, Power Flush - the whole shebang.

3 days later he is on the phone complaining that he is going to cancel the cheque because we haven't fitted the correct room thermostat. I point him to the quote where it states which room stat we will fit. He then accuses us of fitting an old second hand one which is untrue but then says that his new system should have a fancy digital stat, not the old fashioned, manual kind that we have fitted (which we have fewer problems with and older customers know how to use). We tell him that we can supply an upgrade if he wishes for £xx. AT this point he blows his top and threatens to cancel the cheque, tell the police, report us to Trading Standards and take us to court (wish he'd make his mind up).

In the background, a work colleague is waving frantically at me. I look at her note on the system and then tell the gentleman that if he has a serious complaint, we will happily deal with it, if he wants to pay for the upgrade, we will do that for the difference in cost of the part but if he really wants to cancel the cheque - be my guest because you gave us a building society counter cheque you norbert!

Sigh.

Sponsored Links
Rogue customers. Shame there isn't some bloke riding around on a motorbike showing them up and repeating their names over and over.

Some of them want you to knock your price down so much. I walk away. Quality comes at a price. Quality will save a customer money by having a job done that will stand the test of time and still look good.

I could do with reading from my own book sometimes. I can't resist the cheaper replacememnt parts when my van has a prob. 9 times out of 10 i end up having to buy the proper priced more expensive version as my cheapy 'bargain' part has quickly failed.

Quite ofetn asked this question... The reply is always the same. I will take down meticulous details of what work is required longhand on a carbon copy a4 book. I will sign the document and ask the customer to countersign. I politely explain that this is in no way a formal contract, merely a scheme of work and that if they chooose to add anything or change anything that they must inform me. If any particular job requires additional material cost in terms of materials or, not to mention additional time to complete that this would be unfair to me, the wife, (having to put in week-end work)and other customers who may be inconvenienced by me not being able to start their work on time. If it is sometime since I completed the work for their colleague, friend or relative, I will extend to them the option of contacting a.n. other recent customer as a form of reference for my working standards and practices. You are only as good as your last job! I add that if they wish me to carry out the work I will subject to approval and prior consultation, ask them to act as referee to other future potential customers.

So it comes as no surprise that when I book them in for the job sometimes many weeks in advance on a pre-agreed date that when I contact them the week before as a matter of courtesy on my part, that they say....

"We want the bath on the other side of the room, the basin at the bottom of the garden and the WC on the moon. While you are here we want the radiator taking off and a towel rail fitting.... oh and an extractor fitting. It wont cost any more will it?"

"We got a quote from another person (HMMMM methinks!? does such a person really exist) and they said that they would do it cheaper.... but we really want you to do the work... so how much would it be for cash!?"

I politely say that the job will take longer to carry out not-withstanding the additional costs in terms of both labour and materials and that I would have to give it some thought and that I will ring them back in an hour.

So I ring up my other waiting customers and arrange to bring their work forward and book them in instead.

Then I deliver the penny pinching, dutch auctioneers the bad news. That I am very sorry, but I cannot carry out the additional work not to mention the changes to the original scheme of work in the time that I have allowed.

I recently had to threated legal recourse to one such customer who repeatedly pestered me on my mobi, my house 'phone and by e-mail that her continuous harrasment warranted such action on my part.

So HOW MUCH FOR CASH?

I always issue a receipt detailing work carried out and how payment is made. They can pay me by cash, cheque supported by valid current guarantee card or in the equivalent value of baked beans! One day some-one will take me up on this. I wont be able to get the van on the drive.... the wife will hit the roof... and I'll be F"&r*&g for england!

Sponsored Links
We don't even entertain the 'How much for Cash?' question any more, it's not worth hassle with the HMRC and how they pay is not really an issue as long as they pay promptly. The price is, what the price is, and is (basically) comprised of the cost of parts plus the labour charge, there is very little wriggle room these days and if they want the cheapest quote then by all means ring someone else but if they want assurance that the work will be done correctly, to current regulations and to a high standard by a firm who have been around over 20 years and who will be here next year if they have a warranty problem then perhaps it may just cost more. It never ceases to amaze me how someone will spend £40k on a kitchen but argue in court over £150 for the extra radiator they wanted!

We do get lots of really good customers too though and a note, online recommendation, phone call or tip can really make the job worthwhile.

i think i've beat all replys
i was called to service a boiler , service some times means a breakdown. to cut a long story short the gas valve had gone it was putting out more gas than a 747s engine ,unable to regulate it i isolated made safe etc wrote out id paper work customer comes back in and starts screaming blue murder she then blocked my exit until i turned it back on. i told her i would order a new valve . my phone was in the van so i couldnt phone the boss man after half an hour i was worried so i got her her to phone my boss he told me turn it back on which i did she let me go i then with the speed o light phoned transco i waited out side transco came checked it out did the bizz disked the meter ha bang goes her boiler repair and service contract

Back