Cut clasp nails splitting joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am now having a BIG PROBLEM with the nails! They are going in to the boards nicely but are spiting the joists. Not sure it it is safe to continue as I don't want to weaken the whole floor.

Should I pilot hole? I already tried with a 3mm bit and it still split. Perhaps I should abandon and switch to screwing and plugging/filling??

In the below image you can see the nail compared to the board and the drill bit. The red line marks where the bit ends

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/scaff-board-floor-what-nail.471952/page-2#ixzz4Ri5iOzoc

Sponsored Links
Cut nails will split timber as thin as scaffolding board because the rectangular cross-section causes high stress
on the grain and forces it apart. That's why smooth round-wire and (later) oval nails were developed, to avoid splitting the timber; they tend to 'ease' themselves through the wood. Large cut nails are only really suitable for thick structural timbers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back