cut into hardiebacker wall and slide shower tray in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
we've been having an ongoing saga with our loft bathroom. The new stud walls were built out of square by the loft company. The corner walls are more than 90 degrees so when the shower tray is pushed into corner there is a 15mm gap between the tray and the wall on each side by the time you get to the outer edge.
We had the ply walls replaced with hardiebacker and thought the tiler would pack out the walls to make square again but he didn't.
He then cut a slot into the hardiebacker in the corner at floor level in order to slide the tray under the wall by 12mm thus closing the gap between the wall and tray at the outer edges.
Unfortunately this didn't work as the gap he cut just filled with squashed cement and the tray did not butt up under the hardiebacker in the corner.
As a result the tiles would not overlap the shower tray at the outer edges. I used a Mapie shower proofing kit to tank the walls before tiling was done, but the tape peeled off the shower tray at the outer edges because the gap was too big. apparantly it is only designed to cover a gap of 5mm or so.
We also bought a pvc quadrant by Homelux to waterproof the gap but again this is only designed to cover a small gap.
I was thinking about buying the Sealux product as they have a version that will cover a bigger gap but I was advised that this would not guarantee a water proof seal on a 15mm gap.
So I've managed to take up the shower tray and remove all cement with out damaging the tray.
My question is, should we cut into the hardiebacker some more at floor level on both sides of the corner and try to push the tray under some more?
Or is it better to rip the tiles and hardiebacker out and start again and pack the walls out to make square?
showerTrayWonky.jpg showerArea_v01.jpg

Attachments

• showerAreaCementMess.jpg
    showerAreaCementMess.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 663
  • showerAreaCleanedUp.jpg
    showerAreaCleanedUp.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 459
  • cementUnderWall.jpg
    cementUnderWall.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Or is it better to rip the tiles and hardiebacker out and start again and pack the walls out to make square?
That.

If the walls are out of square, no amount of sealant, cutting slices, fitting quadrants or any other method will fix it.
Fitting the shower enclosure to walls that far out will be a world of problems as well.

As these are new stud walls, the competence of the installers must be questioned if they can't even put a stud wall at 90° to the other one. 15mm out over a 60cm distance is ridiculous, not even close to correct.

What does the tray sit on?, common to put down a sheet of ply and lay on a bed of cement.

Sponsored Links
the floor is green chip board. the tray will be re-installed on a bed of cement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back