Cut Rafter tail length or cut hole in cavity closer block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have a block cavity wall extension waiting for roof to go on. Just wondering what the best option is for rafter tails. (sketch attached)

The roof angle means the tails of the rafters will cut through the cavity wall closing block.

Looking at it seems to make sense to me to cut the rafter tail and a little out of the block leaving the cavity closer block acting as a fire break and still enough rafter tail to support the facia and soffit boards.

What do you think the best option is?
Just cut the tail and not the cavity closer block?
Cut both block and tail?
Something else I could do?
upload_2015-7-22_10-32-10.png

Sponsored Links
You should not close a cavity like that. That's a thermal bridge. Wall insulation should meet the roof insulation. Then the rafter trails don't need cutting

Thanks woody for your reply. I was aware of thermal bridge, the engineer advised to close the cavity with a block as a fire barrier, so just looking for the best option with the thermal bridge.

Sponsored Links
he is behind the times. a simple birds mouth over the plate insulate up, plumb cut to rafter ends, soffit and fascia on job done . standard stuff

closing the cavity like that will cause issues at sometime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back