Cutting 6mm ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice if that's okay. I need to ply out a floor in 6mm ply, but I'm having a right hash of a time using a Stanley knife to be honest. I was just wondering whether it would be a bit over the top to use a jigsaw? I reckon I'd find that easier if I could find a way to do it.

If I used a jigsaw and propped the ply on a workmate bench, would that work? I'm using paper to template the floor, so would a jigsaw allow me to shape the ply to the intricate shapes?

My only other concern is the size of the ply; wouldn't it be almost impossible to clamp down a whole sheet of ply up on a workmate bench and comfortably saw through it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Raffa :)

Sponsored Links
You will be there for a month using a Stanley knife and will probably lose a finger using the jigsaw on 6mm ply "Propped up" against the workmate, can`t you use a handsaw or lay the ply on batons whilst you jigsaw. Why you using 6mm? It has little strength and will flex.

Yeah I guess so - that's a good idea. Would I be able to clamp the ply down on top of the workmate bench?

I cut 6mm plywood all the time with a knife. Not that hard. Better to use a concave blade.
You could use a Exakt saw. Very easy with them. But a jigsaw is fine with a short tooth blade in it.

Sponsored Links
Buy two Stanley workhorses, and a sheet of 12x3 22mm mdf flooring to use as a temp workbench (supported by the workhorses). A jigsaw is perfect for odd shapes. For straight lines, quickest way is to clamp a straight edge to the ply, then use either a jigsaw or (better) a small hand held circular saw with the depth set to approx 6.5mm.

It's worth cutting two 22mm thick bits of timber to just over the length and width of a plywood sheet to use as straight edges. Saves time in the long run.

I've ply boarded half my house this way.

Buy two Stanley workhorses, and a sheet of 12x3 22mm mdf flooring to use as a temp workbench (supported by the workhorses). A jigsaw is perfect for odd shapes. For straight lines, quickest way is to clamp a straight edge to the ply, then use either a jigsaw or (better) a small hand held circular saw with the depth set to approx 6.5mm.

It's worth cutting two 22mm thick bits of timber to just over the length and width of a plywood sheet to use as straight edges. Saves time in the long run.

I've ply boarded half my house this way.

Thanks so much for the advice - it's much appreciated. I've just ordered this pair of saw horses:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009O8FW2A?ref_=pe_780071_41837251

Is it essential that I have four of these saw horses or will the pair be okay if I use the sheet of mdf/two lengths of wood? I've just ordered a pair but am worried that I'll need another pair to manage the whole sheet of ply. What do you reckon?

Cheers,
Raffa.

I just made do with 2 sawhorses and one sheet of mdf. It wasn't ideal, but I managed. 4 horses and 2 sheets of mdf just took up too much space.

I think also had a Workmate to support the overhanging edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back