Cutting a hole for a loft hatch help and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to cut a hole in a ceiling for a new self contained loft access and ladder as pictured but have a concern I have had the ceiling boarded with plasterboard and plastered. The board is attached to the existing ceiling of lath, I plan to use a jigsaw to cut this but have concerns in what damage I'm going to do if any, one of my friends has subjested scoring the plaster going though the paper of the plaster board before using the jigsaw this will eliminate any ripping, also what sort of blade do I need in the jigsaw?

Any advice with thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 371
Sponsored Links
When I've fitted them I have used a handsaw, it's quick with very little if any mess. I guess you know that you will have to trim the hatch.

The idea is to cut exactly the dimensions u need get the frame in the loft put a couple of batons across the ceiling and lower the frame in secure and take the batons away

i have one of these and the frame of it wont be enough to hold any joists up, are you cutting the joists?

Sponsored Links
First you must go up in the loft and work out the footprint of the hatch - remember to take into account the roof slope, and cables and pipes.
Then mark the outline on the ceiling below.
Cutting through plaster laths is best done with a battery circular saw using a small diameter blade. Good multi-tools will do the same. Remember that the installed hatch will have to be trimmed with moulding of some kind. The trim will cover any raw edges.
Inevitably you will have to cut joist(s). Dont cut them until you've opened up the plaster laths.
You will also have to trim the joists and perhaps sister in doubled joists.
google loft hatch diagrams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back