cutting a stone resin shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how easy is it to cut a stone shower tray with a stihl saw, want to fit a 1200 wide shower in a 1180 space rather than fit an 1100 and make up the space, i have taken all the plaster off to get the 1180 space and the walls are single brick so cant really cut anything out of the brick so it needs to be shower tray cut or fit smaller one

Sponsored Links
Well I've cut them up with a 9" angle grinder to get them out, no problems..

The sides which sit on the floor are only 10mm or so thick, so you'll lose that :confused:

Sponsored Links
i havent bought the tray yet but have had a look at one in B&Q, i suppose cutting the edge will take away the strength from the sloping edge inside the tray, even if i can cut it i would be gutted if it snapped after the tiling was done, oh well need to look at other options
cheers for the advice

Hi kirk - would a wet room floor not be a better thing to attempt, since these are readily adaptable.

Dex, haven't really thought too much about it yet, my daughter has just bought her first flat and i have stripped out the manky bathroom suite and was ready to fit a new one when she said she would like a walk in shower instaed of a bath :evil: measured wall and looked in B&Q and saw a 1200mm tray which is (nearly) the width of the room, very narrow but it is 2600mm long, i thought the 1200 would have looked good as a tight fit along the back wall, but now having second thoughts about getting the 1200 and cutting it, will have another look for an 1150mm, or will speak to the builders in work to see if they think i can cut into the brick without moving the whole brick into the next room :eek:

Dex, haven't really thought too much about it yet, my daughter has just bought her first flat and i have stripped out the manky bathroom suite and was ready to fit a new one when she said she would like a walk in shower instaed of a bath :evil: measured wall and looked in B&Q and saw a 1200mm tray which is (nearly) the width of the room, very narrow but it is 2600mm long, i thought the 1200 would have looked good as a tight fit along the back wall, but now having second thoughts about getting the 1200 and cutting it, will have another look for an 1150mm, or will speak to the builders in work to see if they think i can cut into the brick without moving the whole brick into the next room :eek:
It's a lot of brickwork to kango out, to be fair. Anyway, don't forget to install that special jewellery safe we talked about a few weeks ago ;)

It's only 10mm either side, go for it, you really don't want to cut the tray.

i think i will cut the wall(s) and see what happens as i would prefer the 1200 tray rather than a smaller one with a false panel up one side, my brother in law is a plasterer so he can fix any damage i do, will try it and take some photos, as we need a laugh anyway :LOL:

i think i will cut the wall(s) and see what happens as i would prefer the 1200 tray rather than a smaller one with a false panel up one side, my brother in law is a plasterer so he can fix any damage i do, will try it and take some photos, as we need a laugh anyway :LOL:
First worse scenario is you'll have to refit the skirting on the other side of the wall. Worse worse case scenario - how's your brother in law at bricklaying :LOL: :LOL:

Get in the wall about the 3rd brick up and cut down towards the floor with a bolster.

If you have a 4" angle grinder slice a few groves in the bricks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back