Cutting bigger hole for lost access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm looking to install a small water cistern into a loft space however the entrance to the loft is only 0.4 by 0.4 meters (400mm). its not enough to get the cistern through. Is their any way i can make this bigger without weakening the ceiling? I assume if i cut a joist, the ceiling will lose strentgh and i will be unable to walk on it?

Sponsored Links
You can't simply cut a joist but you can build a frame to join it to the adjacent joists and double up for strength but it depends on the structure as a whole so a photo or drawing may help. Is this a remote cistern for a loo?

Im a decent diy'er so was hoping with a bit of advice, i'd be able to safely carry out this work without weakening the ceiling. However I have almost no experience working on loft beams etc so dont really know what type of fittings are what, what different joists may be called etc!

But once explained i'm confident I can get this done myself

Sponsored Links
I'm not a chippie but years ago when I needed to cut a loft hatch in a victorian house I did it the same way as this site.

I lived there 6 years and the ceiling stayed put ! It was a similar set up to yours, top of the stairs supporting walls on three sides.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/WOODWORKING_MAKING_A_LOFT_HOLE.htm

I left the first pieces of timber (coloured green)screwed across the joists in as well afterwards as belt and braces!

Worth considering a round tank as they can be rolled slightly to fit through the hatch if you still need extra space between the timbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back